• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Horn Issue

mdemars03

Ok. I have searched and maybe overlooked but I haven't found the answer to figure out my issue yet. My air horn is not working. I know part of the problem, My solenoid doesn't seem to be working and the button on the steering wheel isn't making good contact. The electrical part is figured out. My problem right now is there is no air going to the solenoid. I have working wipers and all other air operated parts seem to work just fine. When I had the solenoid disconnected from the air line and started the truck, I build air pressure just like normal and no air is coming out of the air line that connects to the air horn solenoid. Is there something fairly easy to try and figure out or would it be best for me to just install a plug on the stock air line and add another line directly from an air tank and fix the switch issues? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mdemars03

No click on the solenoid. I know of the electrical issues and have the parts to fix it to include a new solenoid. My problem is no air at the solenoid. When I disconnected the airline from the solenoid and ran the truck there was no air in the line.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked at the air govener I believe the air for the horn comes off of it.
The truck reaches 120 psi and blows off.

mdemars03

Yes it does blow off. I get that regular but not too often air release. Sounds like the typical 18 wheeler air blow down sound when they are driving down the road. No I have not looked at the governor yet.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue
It is generally always the air governor unless there is no air getting to it from the wet tank. As long as you have good ground and power at the air horn solenoid when the horn is depressed.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

acme66

I chased a horn issue all last summer. First start by loosening all the ground lugs on the steering column and snugging them back down. I added a new line from the ground lug to a second ground terminal on the dash. Even added a temporary line directly to the battery just trying to isolate. Horn switch powered all the time so you can pull the rubber button out and jumper, still no click from solenoid then it is down stream of that. My horn gets air at 90psi, same as the wipers. Dead below than that. When pressure is up you can crack the inlet line for the solenoid and if it leaks your governor is working. Still no love and you want a final check jumper 24v to solenoid wire. If horn sounds with the jumper but not the button trouble is in wires up stream of that.

So here is what mine did. All above checked out, horn worked in pre-trip then didn't at the top of the hill. Each morning I would try something, test it works now! Yea! Then it didn't later. Eventually I had isolated everything. Best I can tell once my solenoid heats up it jams. No horn. I figured it was some corrosion and tried activating it several dozen times when cool to try and limber it up. Tried oil in the inlet line. Still does it. Plan to swap the solenoid with one of the backup trucks and get on with my life.

Ken