• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Horn Trumpets

rustystud

Or jerk the wheel and still run into you, which I learned today when talking to my insurance company just go ahead and let them do it. Better to let them hit you than you serve to avoid it and still get into an accident.
Did you ask your insurance what would happen if you just ran over them ? I know bad joke ! This is one of my pet peeves when driving. At work I'm required at times to go out on the wrecker and retrieve broken down busses. I generally try and get out of it. The drivers out here are real A$$'s !!! They will cut right in front of you ! Literally just feet away ! The problem is your towing a 60ft bus with a 40ft truck and trust me it does not stop fast !!! What really gets me though it's your fault if you hit them !!! You can lose your CDL over this and then since a CDL is required to work, you lose your job !!! That's why I never drive over 40mph when towing . So it takes me longer to get back, screw management !!!
I'm also not afraid to use the horn !!! Repeatedly !!!!

Reaper651

Did you ask your insurance what would happen if you just ran over them ? I know bad joke ! This is one of my pet peeves when driving. At work I'm required at times to go out on the wrecker and retrieve broken down busses. I generally try and get out of it. The drivers out here are real A$$'s !!! They will cut right in front of you ! Literally just feet away ! The problem is your towing a 60ft bus with a 40ft truck and trust me it does not stop fast !!! What really gets me though it's your fault if you hit them !!! You can lose your CDL over this and then since a CDL is required to work, you lose your job !!! That's why I never drive over 40mph when towing . So it takes me longer to get back, screw management !!!
I'm also not afraid to use the horn !!! Repeatedly !!!!
Yeah Kalifornia is full of subhuman moron drivers too. But usually the horn will wake them up and get their head out of their a$$, for a little while anyway.:whistle:

welldigger

Yeah Kalifornia is full of subhuman moron drivers too. But usually the horn will wake them up and get their head out of their a$$, for a little while anyway.:whistle:
Here in north Louisiana horns cause people to stare at you like deer in headlights. Blinker use is also considered highly optional.

ke5eua

Here in north Louisiana horns cause people to stare at you like deer in headlights. Blinker use is also considered highly optional.
In New York to get your drivers license all you need to know is where the horn is and how to put it in drive. Blinkers don't exist, and the horn but be light drls, you turn it off not on.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was really hoping to find a source for the trumpets. We have two that are missing, . . . Dirt Tracks made them come loose and fall out.

Reaper651

I have never seen anyone who just happens to have a spare set of horns laying around. Your best bet is to find someone parting out there old deuce and hope the horns are still usable.
I've decided that if I want to stay with the stock horns, I'm just going to get a new complete unit. But the train horns, oh the train horns:drool::drool:auaaua I think I might go with those. I think the set I'm looking at will fit under the hood, but I need to do a bit of measuring first. I don't really want them on the roof but they sure are cooooool!!! Oh decisions, decisions.

shadowdd

We had two sets on our old excursion plumbed with 3/4" air lines from a 20 gallon tank and twin viair constant duty compressors at 200psi. Needless to say they don't sound AS loud now but they are just a couple of dB from a train. Kinda fun scaring people, my wife like to honk at people littering!!

Lex_Ordo

It is just easier to replace the entire set. They come with a new solenoid, which you cannot get separately. Also, the cost is nominal. $100 for a new two bell set of horns complete with a solenoid is no brainer. I had to do it on mine and am happy I did.

Now, train horns are a different kettle of fish all together...
Definitely a plus, BUT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, if bought NEW. You should also add an extra tank and plumb a valve separately into the system to run them. Most truck drivers keep there "city horn", and will plumb in a separate valve solely for the train horns.

The two companies that make real locomotive horns are Leslie Super Typhon, and Nathan Airchime.

You can find them on eBay, and they aren't too expensive there.

Nathan Airchime, under the Micro-Precision parent company produces a few different sets, and I personally am a fan of the P Series horns. They are made from sand castings and are a much nice sounding horn than others.

And while we are on Nathan...They also have a military truck specific set of horns which are also sand cast. I believe they are going on MRAPs, and such, but I really do not know for sure.
Below are a few links to help:

2 Bell set for passenger trains
http://www.microprecisiongroup.com/nathan-airchime/technical-info

Military set CDF

Operating Valve
http://www.grahamwhite.com/main/product.php?C1=1&P1=10&P2=-1

shadowdd

It is just easier to replace the entire set. They come with a new solenoid, which you cannot get separately. Also, the cost is nominal. $100 for a new two bell set of horns complete with a solenoid is no brainer. I had to do it on mine and am happy I did.

Now, train horns are a different kettle of fish all together...
Definitely a plus, BUT THEY ARE EXPENSIVE, if bought NEW. You should also add an extra tank and plumb a valve separately into the system to run them. Most truck drivers keep there "city horn", and will plumb in a separate valve solely for the train horns.

The two companies that make real locomotive horns are Leslie Super Typhon, and Nathan Airchime.

You can find them on eBay, and they aren't too expensive there.

Nathan Airchime, under the Micro-Precision parent company produces a few different sets, and I personally am a fan of the P Series horns. They are made from sand castings and are a much nice sounding horn than others.

And while we are on Nathan...They also have a military truck specific set of horns which are also sand cast. I believe they are going on MRAPs, and such, but I really do not know for sure.
Below are a few links to help:

2 Bell set for passenger trains

Military set CDF

Operating Valve
http://www.grahamwhite.com/main/product.php?C1=1&P1=10&P2=-1
I will second the Nathan series horns.... We have a Nathan K5 and love it but it does use up a lot of air and they are on the pricey side of horns. If you want just a train horn sound without the authentic price then check out.

www.hornblasters.com

You can find some very nice sets there.

Bryan

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the trumpets off both stock horns and you get a hideous screech guaranteed to get attention! For trumpets coming loose, Loctite them?
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks