• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air horn woes

TurboJoe

Ok, I just stumbled on this thread looking for something else and couldn't help but read through it.

I think you are making it complex, and skipping testing the diode at the same time. This is a very simple system, here is what I would do.

1. Verify 24V a the horn from wire 26, you did that and looks all good.

2. Disconnect wire 25A and leave it disconnected until you get the horn working.

3. Measure the resistance from the wire that cam off of 25 to ground with the horn switch open and everything connected. The meter should read O.L. for out of limits. Any number displayed on your meter in ohms mode will signify a problem. If you see a number, any number then there is a short circuit somewhere on wire 25 or the horn switch. If you find this to be the case (which I am assuming will be) then start disconnecting every spot of wire 25 that you can easily. Measure from each end, you should again get an O.L or open reading from you meter. Any ohm reading at all on that wire side signifies your problem lies there. Look at what could be causing the short on that section of wire, and fix.

4. Put everything back together when you fix the short, and put the meter again on the wire that came off 25 and to ground. The meter should read O.L since you fixed the short. Now hit the horn switch, it should read a number, 5,10, 25, ect. Unless the number is high everything should work. If that number is above 100 ohms, I would look at the contacts in the horn switch.

5. Once everything works, install a new diode to 25A in the proper direction.

There isn't any voodoo of black boxes, just the correct methodical testing will solve the problem.

tbar123

Thanks for the advice. I did get the horns working again, by buying a new replacement horn switch. One thing I noticed on the replacement was that there isn't a diode or resistor on it as the old one I took out and the used one I bought had. I would try disconnecting that first in the future.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, then I'm creating a new plug? Thank u
Remove the old one from the wire. Solder or splice in the new one. Seal it up with heat shrink and you're done. Never done it myself but the thread that is linked in the beginning of this one seems to show it's pretty straight forward. Looks to just be an inline diode.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks