• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Leak Noise?

captcarc

Even though I just finished cosmetically restoring my '83 HMMWV, I've not driven it much. Driving it the last two nights, it has issued an air leak noise about which I'm inquiring. After driving it at 55mph for about 15 minutes, I hear a prolonged air leak noise almost like an extended turbo wastegate noise (but alas, no turbo here). it concerned me the first time I heard it, wondering if a gasket or something let go, but the noise went away only to reoccur on the next drive. Any thoughts? I've attached a picture of a release valve? under the driver's wheel well on the fire wall. What is that and could that be the noisemaker? (FYI, I've got the doors off, so can hear "things" more loudly.) Thank you!

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh OK thanks, just wondering if you had some super secret prototype unit. That valve is the fuel filter sump drain and that sound is the "Cadillac" valve that controls the fan clutch.

captcarc

Oh OK thanks, just wondering if you had some super secret prototype unit. That valve is the fuel filter sump drain and that sound is the "Cadillac" valve that controls the fan clutch.
Thanks! Not super secret after all, but was well-equipped when in use, i.e. CID panels and DVE system.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the water seperator drain valve...have you ever driven this truck before? Or A HMMWV.
sounds like what your describing is the fluid flowing through your Cadillac valve,...

Shurts

Ha! I came on this board to ask about that hissing sound that I hear at all times until the fan kicks in. This has to be it. Thanks guys!

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the hiss is your cadillac valve, you can make it go away by insulating it from it's mounting with a strip of inner tube. My hiss only happened when I was turning.
Thanks FKAM! I too made the rubber modification and the "hissing" stopped. (y)
- HoveringHMMWV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks