• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air leak

Sgt. Sam

Air leaks whenthe transmission is in reverse gear. in a few minites will drain tank. Truck is a m-62 wrecker 1957 AMGeneral with continental 6602 gas engine anyone got any ideas where to start ???

Thanks Sgt. Sam

area52

The transmission has two valves on it to "tell" the transfer case when its in forward or reverse.

They are air operated so climb under it and pull them both off and rebuild them. Chris (steelsoldiers) has a good thread with pictures on rebuilding them.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best to pull the floor pan to get to the valves on the top of the transmission if you have to work on them.
First check the air lines from that valve to the air cylinder on the front of the transfer case. The high volume of air you are losing makes it sound like the one to the reverse side of the transfer case cylinder is broken or burst.

Regards Marti

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"Chris (steelsoldiers) has a good thread with pictures on rebuilding them. " ????????????, gave up looking in search, any MASTER searcher that can help

Last edited:

wdbtchr

I have that problem on my M51a2 w/w, I rebuilt the duplex valve first, then replaced it with a new one, didn't solve the problem. I talked to Memphis about it the they thought it was the air cylinder on the sprage leaking. I got a rebuild kit for it, but haven't had the time to tear it down because you have to remove the U joint to get the cylinder off. My2cents

Sgt. Sam

OK Guys I removed the floor cover and when I shift to reverse air is comming out of That thing between the two cyenders on the sprag.Looks like something should thread into it but I don't know what? Must need new seals??

cornrichard

Nothing treads into that part it is just a vent. You should hear it vent when you shift from forward to reverse. If it vents air all the time you have found your problem, replace or repair that valve.

Sgt. Sam

Well I orderd a new unit today from Memphis Equipment and then I hooked a air hose to the drain valve on the air tanks and added pressure so i could hear any leakes without the engine noise. I found an rubber air line with a very large leak. Napa is making a new one. Hope i don't find any more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks