• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-O-Matic airlines?

micky

So I installed the air assist and had a question as to the routing of the airlines. Someone posted a pic of a nice installation showing the lines with bulkhead fittings thru the frame, my question is it alright to drill holes thru the frame or could this lead to cracking. I know semi road trucks have a requirement of no drilling or welding on the frame due to them being hardened.
Thanks, Mick

Jones

Drilling is OK (just look at the frame brackets on the baby HEMTT). Welding is frowned upon because of stress risers at the edges of the weld heat spread.

forklift

Could you tell me what you think of the steering? Was it worth the money? I want to do something like that but I hate to spend all that money to find out they suck. Someone told me they didn't like the air assist. anyone have an opinion on this hydrolic kit from chuckstrucks? It's $950 plus $200 for a line kit.

Attachments

Dieselsmoke

I'm not too sure on the hydraulic one there. It's got a Char-lyn type steering valve like we use on the monster trucks. I don't see any way that you could possibly mount that steering valve other than by replacing the steering box, which would lose your mechanical backup should anything happen.

micky

Thanks Guys, Drilling it is. I really like the steering. It doesn't assist going down a curvy hill but at the bottom the sharp corner was with one hand and it returned to neutral on it's own. You can still feel the road, no wandering like power steering might feel to some. Sitting still, one hand lock to lock. I think it will be great off road, will let you know when I try it.
Thanks Mick

Adamlee

deuce air-assist steering feedback

On this subject - I also was wondering if some owners/operators running the air-o-matic kits might chime in with their experiences thus far.

Seems to me that with a super singles conversion, an air-o-matic power assist would really make a deuce even more fun to drive....and I agree with the notion that it should really improve any off-roading capability!

I remember back when I had an M880 BEFORE p/s conversion with W100 parts versus after, well, you know how you can get spoiled with power steering driving in a muddy rutted trail.

Adamlee

Air-o-matic power steering

Thanks for the opinion, 1075!

BTW, if you could screen out some M113's for the fire dept, I'd be willing to come visit....

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the air assit kits are nice, they are nothing compared to REAL power steering. And the conversion is NOT that difficult. Gringeltaube (Gerhard) has done one and posted the process with pix AND the overall results.

Here's that thread -

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3094&highlight=oil+grade

Deuce Doctor (Randy Barnes) and I are going to do them to our deuces. The major hangup is finding the 5 ton power steering pump that just bolts up to the multifuel. Then all you need is a Ross HF 54 power steering head, which bolts up (with attachment hole enlargement) to the same position as the manual one. If you lose power steering, you can continue steering manually.

jim

Adamlee

air assist vs true hydraulic ps for deuces

Jim, I was under the assumption that conversion to 5-ton ps wasn't possible due to the lack of room for the actual gearbox in the way the deuce motor/frame is set up.

Please, enlighten me as to how I might be able to use a 5-ton hydraulic ps setup instead of an air-o-matic! I might actually save some money!

I thought that anything along these lines meant butchery of frame and/or motor mounts etc....

carguy455

alternatives ?

Ross HF 54 power steering head

Are these used in any "commercial" applications ? Any other trucks use these ? Looking for additional sources to scrounge from. Or any other stock power steering boxes that could be adapted to the M35's or M37's. The kits are kind of cost prohibitive for us "working" guys. Fabrication or adaptation sound far less exspensive.

davemccoull

deuce power steering

I work for T.R.W. in uk. and have found out the ross hydropower 54 steering box is indeed made by trw in Luton in U.K. Ihave been trying to get hold of one for myself. ive been in touch with the luton branch, only to find out the production line has been sent to India, (everythings disappearing from u.k.). I have a contact name and Number in India, ihave yet to get in touch, i,ll let you know what happens. Gerhards conversion is the way to go!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks