• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-o-matic install

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The safety valve is in the correct position. And you can plumb around most anything.
Also a photo of my latest finished product.
1. Electric wipers
2. Muffler
3. Oil filter modification
4. Detroit locker
5. Winch
6. Singles
7. Pre-filter spin on for fuel
:driver:

Attachments

DFD2010-A

The safety valve is in the correct position. And you can plumb around most anything.
Also a photo of my latest finished product.
1. Electric wipers
2. Muffler
3. Oil filter modification
4. Detroit locker
5. Winch
6. Singles
7. Pre-filter spin on for fuel
:driver:
Truck looks great! What is the wheel/tire combo your running on it? I've seen those wheels on a few trucks and haven't been able to find anything on them.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheels are OD Iron. Tires are 15.5 michelin. Before you get tires from anyone make sure they have no sidewall checks/cracks.
The truck started life as an M109A3

o1dakota440

I was told that the newer kits don't even have the regulator in them(mentioned earlier in this thread too by Blood of tyrants). It was for use with air systems that produced more than 120 psi. The instructions don't even tell your what psi to set it at. I talked to several people before installing my kit that did not install the regulator on theirs, or removed it after installation due to it failing.
i would like to hear mor on this.

AceHigh

My personal opinion- I have two kits. On one I installed I did not use the regulator, it works great. The second one did not work when I got it, I added oil to the system and deleted the regulator and it works great.

this is a know issue. the kit is not power steering. it is air assist. you dont want to be able to turn the tires while stopped on concrete. it puts enormous stress on the front end that it really doesn't need.

What is the weak link? There are a large .number of trucks with 2.5 rockwells and full hydro steering and nothing seems to break on them. They all can do full lock to lock when not moving. What is so.weak with the air assist?

jwaller

What is the weak link? There are a large .number of trucks with 2.5 rockwells and full hydro steering and nothing seems to break on them. They all can do full lock to lock when not moving. What is so.weak with the air assist?
ya full hydro is one thing but air-o-matic is not hydro. hydro is hydraulic not air assist.

militarysteel

yeah i think they are just trying to sound intelligent or something, i removed the regulator on mine, i can turn it lock to lock on ashfault. no issues at all, granted i am not a one finger steer, but the air assist is nice. i like it when i and driving woodward dream cruise, all the turn arounds and so on... air assist comes in handy.

jwaller

I understand they are two different systems. What is the weak link with the air assist? Obviously, that part is replaced with the hydro.
the weakest link on the air assist units are the regulators, and they can and should be left off. the second IMO would be the drag link, it's even shorter and has a bend in it. so I'd say the bent part would be most likely to bend even more in a tight situation with big tires.

Billy Bobbed

I was told to remove the valve on the frame,they said it will steer better.But I still have mine in place and the regulator.I'm noticing in the winter mine doesnt steer as good as it did.

jatonka

This is an opinion, really. Anyone can do what they want with the black regulator on the inside of the frame rail. They are there to adjust the amount of air required to operate the air-o-matic system according to the conditions that prevail in a particular area of operation. If the owner understands how to adjust it without breaking it, I believe it is worth keeping on the truck. Because......... The upper regulator on the firewall is not adjustable, it is on or off, and automaticly stops air from going to the draglink in the event of the truck air system falling below 60 PSI. This is to help save remaining air reserve for braking, etc.

Now, my other opinion, this time from experience with these kits and many Deuces with Big tires and little tires, and M35s, M35A2s, and 2 M35A3s: The steering gear box is the weakest link in the entire system when it is abused by having the truck sitting still and turning the steering wheel. It is showing up in M35A3s with the wider front tires. The Ross steering gear vbox is more than adequet for 9.00x20 tires and the original Reo OA-331 Gas engine, as it is a lot lighter than the Multifuel.

As far as the Air-o-matic weak link, I haven't found one in 14 years of running them on my off road dump truck. I grease the zerks and have adjusted the draglink cups once, Rubbed an airline almost to the point of leaking and had to replace it. That is the Maintanence I have had to do on a hard working truck with air-o-matic assist.

Thanks, JT out

Attachments