• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air O Matic Power Steering Kit Update

aboonski

Anyone considering the purchase of the Air O Matic Power Steering Kit may want to know that replacement parts will still be manufactured long into the future regardless of the company's announcement to discontinue making the kit. I just spoke with a person named Arthur up in New York who is the only distributor for the power steering kit and he wanted me to let everyone know that he will still be able to obtain these units providing he can place an order for a minimum of 50 at a time. This is great news and should dispell the rumor that the source of supply will soon dry up for good. The fact that Arthur will also be capable of obtaining replacement parts gives me piece of mind because I plan to keep my truck until I can no longer climb into the cab! Right as I am typing this message, he is in the process of ordering some parts for me that have deteriorated because of the years of non-use while the truck was owned by the military. In my case, I will need a new O-Ring for the piston due to air loss when turning and a new boot cover for the piston rod. Once you have experienced the before and after of adding power steeering to a Deuce, you will never want to go back to manual steering again! Al Broadbent[/u]

apbloom

Thank you, Alan, for giving our customers the update that we just spoke about. We have been on a roller coaster of faxes, phone calls, and emotions over the last few days. We have many rural fire departments who can barely afford to buy a truck, let alone a power steering unit. They rely upon us for supplying them, as do lots of hobbyists and collectors.

When we were notified that the PS kits were to be discontinued, we were very disapointed, but we have finally convinced the manufacturer to allow us to buy 50 kits, minimum, per year, if we put the money up front for them. This will probably not be a problem, as we sell about 70 per year. We will try to keep the prices as low as possible, as we have done in the past. We are very enthusiastic about this product, that sells itself.

Please be assured that we will keep you all posted on any developments.

Arthur P. Bloom & Family
www.M35products.com

apbloom

Here is an update:

There are 29 power steer kits left in inventory. After these are sold, the manufacturer says that I must order 50 at a time, and pay for them up front. The cost per kit is probably going to double. I have held the cost down these last few years, taking a smaller margin each time they raised my price. I will still try to provide the collectors and other users with the lowest price possible. I will need to get orders from customers up front, with a small deposit, and when I have reached about 40 orders, I will place my order with the factory. So if you or a fire department you know wants or needs one of the 29, let me know as soon as possible. It will be a long time before they are available again.

Arthur P. Bloom
www.M35products.com
toll-free 866-749-0100 Ext 1

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I figured the parts support would continue so I said nothing when the cacophonous tumult over the 'discontinuation' began. I'm confident that the system will remain trouble free for a very long time. No one should be afraid to buy the units and use them as intended. Other than a boot sufering damage from external cause, there is very little to go wrong unless abused (such as left sitting idle for many years)

I have been extremely happy with the quality of everything I have bought from APB and can attest that he does not, and will not, sell 'cheaply made junk'.. He is also not the kind of person to leave his customers holding the bag if he can do anything about it. I've had the selectro hubs for almost 4 years now, and no hint of any trouble. Have had them off to inspect the front wheel bearings and so I inspected them as well, - no sign of any real wear after almost 6000 miles with 80% of it disengaged on highway at speed, where most of any wear would occur due to internal rotating parts of the hubs. The new hubs are even better design. just my 2 cents.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am really tempted to put a $1300 dent in my mastercard right now, LOL

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
These look like relatively simple systems. I wonder why another manufacturer isn't producing an alternate system? If you could make and sell these for $500-$600, you could probably sell one to almost every duece owner. The current $1300 is the only thing that has kept me from getting one.

rizzo

hndrsonj said:
These look like relatively simple systems. I wonder why another manufacturer isn't producing an alternate system? If you could make and sell these for $500-$600, you could probably sell one to almost every duece owner. The current $1300 is the only thing that has kept me from getting one.
ditto

apbloom

Well, the system, in theory, is simple. Air goes in, air comes out. But there are over a hundred parts in the system, and some are made to extremely tight tolerances. The entire kit has an NSN, and is mil-spec. The parts are made at 20 different sub-contractors' shops. Therefore, it would be difficult for these and other reasons to start from scratch to re-produce these kits.

A hydraulic system, even with used parts, can cost up to $3000 to install, and requires lots of fabrication and messing with pump, hoses, belts, pulleys, fluid, accumulator, brackets, new steering box, etc.

I wouldn't care to try to get them copied here or off-shore due to the immense cost of product liabilty insurance. So I will just wait and see what the manufacturer tells me the new cost per kit will be. I hope they will be gentle.

The list price has been $1800 all along, while I have been selling them for $1300. If $1300 scares you, and you decide you really want one, $2500 will look even scarier.

I will do my best to keep the new price down.

APB

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have the installation instructions/parts illustrations for this kit? I am really curious to see these. I am sorry and do not wish to offend anyone but from what I've seen this is a simple system and you are not making the complete system from scratch so it should be relatively easy (I have 17 years as a Naval Aviation Hydraulics Mechanic). It is extremely hard to spend twice what the entire truck cost for power steering let alone 4X if the price goes up. Also, I am not saying this kit is not worth the money; I just can't let myself do it.

apbloom

Well, since I am the distributor, I would be the one who can provide you with any info, including a parts list, the printed instructions and service bulletins that are available.

Please call me on my toll-free line 866-749-0100 Ext 1 anytime between 0700 and 2100 hrs, Zulu - 5, and I will mail you the documents. I will attempt to acquaint you with the operation and construction of the components in our telephone visit.

If you would like me to ship you a kit on approval so that you may inspect the major components, we could also arrange that. I am open to any and all suggestions as to how to continue offering this product at a reasonable price. If you are serious about considering a project of this type, and you have $25,000 to invest (which would be the minimum participation to get product liability insurance and other legal fees taken care of), and a machine shop capable of creating precision foundry items, milled items, and cast items, and several rubber components, I am eager to enter into a deal with you. I can virtually guaranty that your investment would be recouped within three years at the rate that I sell these kits.

As far as your comment about the relative costs of the trucks themselves versus the cost of power steering, no offense taken.

The way I see it, just because the trucks are being abandoned in their prime by a wasteful government, does mean that they are WORTH $1000. They were worth $60,000 when they were new. To some, they still have value way over their surplus purchase price. Mining, utility and land-surveying companies swear by them. Just today I visited a local fire department with my mechanic, and we installed two PS kits. The trucks that received them cost the FD $1500 apiece, but their value to the community they serve is much more.

But they were outshopped without a critical piece of material: namely, the DoD forgot to equip them with power steering. Personally, I think the PS greatly enhances their value, beyond the purchase price of the the trucks themselves and the price of the PS kits. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, so to speak.

Arthur P. Bloom
www.M35products.com

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'll say this, I don't mind driving it without power steering whatsoever, but backing a trailer up (especially a short one) just ain't any fun.

apbloom

"I'll say this, I don't mind driving it without power steering whatsoever, but backing a trailer up (especially a short one) just ain't any fun."

Exactly one of the reasons to use power assist rather than full-time power. It only activates when you need it, and the rest of the time, you have the feel of armstrong steering. It also does not rob HP because there isn't any parastic load from a pump.

APB

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Rizzo, You could think of it as an investment. When you sell your truck you'll recover most, if not more, than it cost. The latter could be thought of as getting -paid- to have it. JimK

p.s.
Some investments do well, some less so (ex: mutual funds) .Few get used while they mature.

It might make the sale, when/if that day comes.

p.s.s
Might make the 'guest' driver more comfortable (wife, girlfiend,newbee).
Safer too.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
gringeltaube said:
Wish I knew if this "system" is as good as the Selectros any time you get water over the axles...? :?
Its' full of compressed air..? I can't say, I have been in water up to the axle once, and suffered no problems with the selectro hubs. But I make clear that I do not ford. Did you have water get into the hubs and are you sure it came in there? It's very interesting.

One other consideration for power steering is that it removes alot of stress from the steering gearbox, and it's well known what a PITA it is to replace that part.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OPCOM said:
gringeltaube said:
Wish I knew if this "system" is as good as the Selectros any time you get water over the axles...? :?
... Did you have water get into the hubs and are you sure it came in there? It's very interesting.
Yes and yes until I decided to replace the factory O-rings, put thicker ones in place with lots of silicon grease. They are harder to dial now but it sure helped!
Boots are inspected (and replaced) regularly.
I'm considering to also extend some flexible air lines to the knuckles to keep them pressurized as well as the axle housings while fording.