• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-o-matic problem or not

Chevracer87

First off let me say I've read all the Air-o-matic threads I could find and couldn't find an answer. I just finished up installing a brand new system on my truck and believe it may need some fine tuning. The reason I say this is because whenever I turn left or right it feels "choppy" for lack of a better word. Is this just the nature of how these systems work or do I have something out of adjustment? Should it operate smoothly in both directions? Do I possibly have the drag link to loose or too tight? There was no real torque spec that I could find so I just tightend the ends down and backed them off until the cotter pin went through. After reading all the post about the air regulator going bad I decided not to install it so I know that's not the problem.

I'm not familiar with the system so I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, just thought I would ask. Thanks in advance

peashooter

I've had some AOM problems as well. The Drag link is really the only part to the system that I would think could do what your saying. I had some problems with my drag link. Folks were telling me to put some "marvel mystery oil" in it and in all honesty I just blew off that advice for a week while I tried other things that didnt sound so much like a miracle snake oil fix.
Anyway I decided to break down one day and spend the $4 on the marvel oil, put it in the drag link hooked it back up (had the front end jacked up) and let my 4 year old daughter play with steering the wheel back and forth to "work it in".
TO my surprise, the marvel mystery oil was able to free up the sticky parts inside that had started to give me trouble. I know you said the system is brand new, but that could mean its still a few decades old right? THe drag link is basically a valve, so if/when things dont move freely in there it will get choppy or just plain not work right.

peashooter

Im sure there are several ways to do it. But what I did was (Close the shut off valve, or drain the tanks first) just unscrew the inlet air hose to the drag link, I also unhooked the hoses going to the ram so that didnt end up with too much oil in it. , then start of by putting in a couple cap fulls and hook it back up to air, you dont need it attached to the ram, but it will blow oil mist out the hoses/drag link ports so put a rag over them or something. Mine was pretty clogged so I ended up screwing a 1/4npt quick connect air fitting on the draglink inlet (the type that most everyone puts on their air tools). I was able to drop/pour a little oil into that, then just hook up my garage air compressor (so I didnt need to keep the truck running) hose to the quick fitting and turn the steering wheel back and forth, repeat as necessary just like shampoo:) it took me probably 4 cycles of adding oil, hooking it up, turning the wheel for a minute or 2 and then doing it all over again. I usually let it sit for 5 minutes also after adding the marvel.
If you unhook it from the ram, you can probably put about as much as you want in and let it sit, actuate it, let it sit, add more etc. After you are done and things are hopefully working, you can add a little air tool oil in to keep it lubricated. Im not sure the marvel oil would otherwise leave it lubricated, its more like a penetrant than an oil in my opinion. In all honesty, Im also not sure what marvel oil does to rubber, I assume if its safe to put in your oil, that it should be safe for rubber and not make it swell up?