• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Pack End Plate Seal

dabtl

As some may know I have been working on three deuce air packs rebuilds.

I cannot find a real gasket amongst the rebuild kits that fits the end cap.

It is a 4 1/2 inside diameter, 1/8 inch paper gasket. The rebuild kit I have gotten, four, all have a paper gasket that is just too small.

So, from McMaster-Carr today I got a 1/8 inch square 4 1/2 inside diameter o-ring.

With some Permatex gasket sealer holding it in place it seems to work just fine.

I will know tomorrow. But this looks like the solution.

I also got my paper gasket cutter in today also, just in case.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I soak the gasket that comes in the kit, with BFS(in a shallow tray), for a day or so. It will swell and fit just fine after that.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake Fluid Silicone (dot 5)

dabtl

I tried making the 1/8 square o-ring work tonight. No worky!:cry: It squeezes out.

Back to paper. I will try doghead's idea and cut my own paper gasket tomorrow.

Further, the affiant sayeth not.

dabtl

I have been getting them of eBay. The short air pack probably has a different seal for the air cylinder and I have not opened one to see if the air piston uses the same felt and rubber seals. But the hydraulic cylinder stuff should be the same.

dabtl

I soak the gasket that comes in the kit, with BFS(in a shallow tray), for a day or so. It will swell and fit just fine after that.
I soaked my one remaining gasket in the brake fluid as you suggested for ten days. It seems to work, even if not as rapidly as you suggested. I found the gasket just barely pliable enough to go around the end plate. On being tightened it flattened out and probably will work fine.

Others may find this useful also.

I am going to make a gasket with a gasket cutter in a couple of weeks for the last one. I will see how that turns out.

dabtl

The gasket cutter, two knives on a center spike worked well. It was about $18 on eBay. I used paper material from O'Reilly's at about $4.

The manufacturer recommended using a wood brace, I used a 3/8 ratchet with an eight point socket.

It took four times, but I finally turned out a perfect paper gasket.:-D

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nopics

That sounds really interesting. I would like to see the gaskets that came with the kits and the one you made. I have a pack that needs a rebuild so I have a spare

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every kit that I have dealt with as of late were non fitting. The end plate is almost an interference fit with the air can and the only thing supposed to be in that can is air and air tool oil. Considering the latter, I used high grade silicone sealant on the last few I've done. No worries so far. Also, while you have that end plate off, get the pipe plug loose. I had one that wouldn't come out no matter what, even after heating it. I did finally get it along with a bunch of aluminum. That one now has 1/4" NPT plug in it.

dabtl

I got some eight point sockets off eBay to work on that plug. They work fine if the plug is not buggered up.

On my second deuce I was forced to remove the vent tube to lubricate it because the plug did not want to break loose at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks