• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Pack extra part

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall seeing a part that in a long airpack, I have only repaired/rebuilt a few of 'em. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That part goes seated inside the outlet plug (pic below).
Possibly to help keep the return springs centered in the cylinder bore; prevent the coils from shifting to one side and touching the cylinder wall when fully compressed.

Not a crucial part IMO and it seems like some of the (long)airpacks came without it. At least the TMs I have don't show it.
Now to find out if this was added as an upgrade on later versions; or if it was the early models which had it...?

G.

Attachments

rustystud

That part goes seated inside the outlet plug (pic below).
Possibly to help keep the return springs centered in the cylinder bore; prevent the coils from shifting to one side and touching the cylinder wall when fully compressed.

Not a crucial part IMO and it seems like some of the (long)airpacks came without it. At least the TMs I have don't show it.
Now to find out if this was added as an upgrade on later versions; or if it was the early models which had it...?

G.
I've rebuilt 6 long style air-pacs (from 1954 to 1976) and none had this "spring guide ? " on them. My early manual doesn't show it either. Must have been some sort of up-grade. I will be rebuilding my 1988 long style air-pacs this summer. Maybe they will have it in there.

Last edited:

peashooter

My 88 duece's long style airpack a had these cone things in them to help center the springs also. A few of the rebuild kit parts didn't fit either like the gasket between the back cap and the air cyl body. There must have been a few small differences in the newer of the old long style airpaks.

rustystud

My 88 duece's long style airpack a had these cone things in them to help center the springs also. A few of the rebuild kit parts didn't fit either like the gasket between the back cap and the air cyl body. There must have been a few small differences in the newer of the old long style airpaks.
Well then, it must be a late model upgrade.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found that some of the gaskets don't fit because they are dried up. If you soak them in hot water they will be restored to their original size and be pliable again.

rustystud

I have found that some of the gaskets don't fit because they are dried up. If you soak them in hot water they will be restored to their original size and be pliable again.
Now that sounds like a good trick. That's one of the reasons I don't like using "NOS" gaskets. Especially ones over 30 years old. Also I never trust oil seals and 'O' rings over 20 years old. Unless there made out of "Silicone" or a good "Neoprene" or "Viton" .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks