• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Pack Malfunction - Need advice

shenkmen

The air side if my brakes failed while offroading.

Day 1 - Everything was fine. She was running fine 6 out of 8 hours off roads. Went through hub deep water several times. At the end of the day I drained the tanks and the normal amount of water came out.

Day 2 - It went down to 19 overnight. Used the deuce to move a large rock. The brake pedal got rock hard for one pump. The airpack was not functioning on the next pump, Only the hydraulic side worked. Found zero air and braked fluid leaks. Figured the 9 month old NOS airpack failed. Got her towed home. The brake pedal felt normal.

Day 3 - The temp got up to 54 degrees. Brake fluid level was fine. Fixed a slight air leak where the service line exits the air pack. Removed the J pipe to look for fluid and water. Added some air tool oil while it was off.

While checking for brake fluid and leaks again I drained the air tanks. About 10 oz. of clear water came out of the wet tank. I've never had this much water come out before and have run it for longer periods of time. I drain my tanks after every run.

Fire her up. Waited until operating pressure was achieved and drained the air tanks again and both glad hands while running to blow water out. Took her for a spin and everything is back to normal.

1. Should I trust the air pack as is?
  2. Was it ice in the air pack that caused it not to function? If not, then what caused it?
  3. What else?

Thanks much.

tco3129

SOUNDS LIKE ICE IN AIRPACK TO ME. HAPPENED TO ME LAST WINTER. MULTIPLE AIR BLOWDOWNS SEEMED TO HELP. NOT JUST AT THE END OF THE DAYS RUN.2cents

shenkmen

Yeah gimp, I'm definitely interested in an air line dryer.

Tigger/Tco, thanks.

Everyone, would you trust my air pack after it froze up?

salvorone@aol.com

i would , freezing temps play havoc with water in the air system .suggest a air dryer , big truck air dryers operate by filering the air and spitting the moisture out of the bottom , and still some water in vapor form gets by the filter, if your compressor is pushing oil it makes the problem even worse poluting the sysyem with a oily slidge goo like stuff or drain ,drain, drain, and drain some more. :driver:

PaFarmer

Good information. Joe and I were having a ball off-roading, until this brake issue. Credit to Joe for all the PM and related work he has performed on his truck. If inspite of his regular draining of the tanks, he still had a problem, an air dryer appears to be a must have for winter use. I learned a good lesson from this.

As an aside, Joe brought his truck up for a ride and some camping. The other guys in our group were all active or retired military and each was impressed with Joe's truck (they all drive civy trucks). His improvements make his truck better than stock.

shenkmen

This is strange. I was introduced to a neighbor down the street today. It turns out he drove deuces all over Alaska in 65 - 66. He said they ran alcohol kits to keep their air from freezing.

He told me a story how the in cab flame heater failed on a 100 mile trip to Fairbanks. They were in convoy so he could not stop. His legs were shaking so bad he had to push down on his right knee to hold his leg still so the truck would stop surging.

I'm now shopping for the desiccant style Haldex model from the M35a3. He agreed the desiccant type of system is a better choice. My research on SS indicates it is a solid model and is in use by road trucks as well.

Can anybody snap some pics of the dryer mounted on an M35a3?

Thanks.

shenkmen

Good information. Joe and I were having a ball off-roading, until this brake issue. Credit to Joe for all the PM and related work he has performed on his truck. If inspite of his regular draining of the tanks, he still had a problem, an air dryer appears to be a must have for winter use. I learned a good lesson from this.

As an aside, Joe brought his truck up for a ride and some camping. The other guys in our group were all active or retired military and each was impressed with Joe's truck (they all drive civy trucks). His improvements make his truck better than stock.
Thanks. I'm glad they appreciated my deuce. For the others on this thread that's me he's talking about.

shenkmen

I'm giving this thread a bump since many people have had connection issues.

My main concern is this - Would you trust my air pack as is?

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks