• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Pack question.

swindad2

Progress update:

The machine shop I took the air pack to has been backlogged with work from local factories (guess I am low priority). I decided to go pick it up today and put it together myself. I think I might be screwed though. After inspecting the cylinder they honed, I am afraid it is pitted too badly to use. The other one is even worse, so I didn't even attempt to clean it up. You can see in the picture where the water pooled on the bottom side. Has anyone installed one in this shape? It all feels smooth, but you can definitely feel slight indentations where the rust is. I assume the bore needs to be perfectly smooth? I really am not prepared to spend $500 on a new one. The deuce would be my doghouse. aua

20140620_153240.jpg

rustystud

The only problem is the shop wants over $100.00 to bore it out, and will not guarantee it will remove all pits. I'm not sure how much can be taken off before you put the air-can in danger of splitting open from use. The other thing was they could put a stainless steel liner in it, but that was some serious money ! I could almost buy a rebuilt unit for that kind of money . I'm keeping all my old cans just in case the market drys up and I can no longer get parts. Then I'll have them machined, but until then Ill just keep getting my parts from fellow members and the want adds .

rustystud

Progress update:

The machine shop I took the air pack to has been backlogged with work from local factories (guess I am low priority). I decided to go pick it up today and put it together myself. I think I might be screwed though. After inspecting the cylinder they honed, I am afraid it is pitted too badly to use. The other one is even worse, so I didn't even attempt to clean it up. You can see in the picture where the water pooled on the bottom side. Has anyone installed one in this shape? It all feels smooth, but you can definitely feel slight indentations where the rust is. I assume the bore needs to be perfectly smooth? I really am not prepared to spend $500 on a new one. The deuce would be my doghouse. aua

View attachment 499972
Yes the bore should be completely smooth. If it is not you run the risk of damage to the seal . I would try asking fellow members if they have a old one they would sell to you. I got a good one from peashooter and gimpyrobb . I have since gone to the short style air-pac for my M35A2C , but I'm keeping my long style ones just in case . I got a short style one from Warthog . He is a great guy to buy from. A good Honest seller ! If something is wrong he'll make it right.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks