• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air powered wipers stuck

two.fiveM35

The red button on my air powered wiper motor is pushed and and I can not get it out. Any idea on how to get it to come out or am I up the creek and need a new one?

I hate my air powered wipers and plan on getting electric ones. I have gotten my wipers to work perfectly only to have them act up the next time I turned them on. They are so out of here.

TexAndy

It is possible to fix them. No guarantees on staying fixed.

I had one that was acting like that, where the arm would go to one side and stay there. If I recall correctly, I took it off the truck, and ran compressed air through it in both directions with tool oil. Dunno what that did exactly, but it worked again after that.

cjcottrill

I carefully disassembled mine, cleaned everything up, and coated with a light coat of waterproof grease. They work good as new. Be carful with the gasket, it is fragile.

TexAndy

I should take one apart and see what the gasket looks like. I'll bet it would be trivial to cut new ones on my laser, once I've made a drawing for it.

There is some good information if you do a search . I put each wiper on its own supply line and valve. Larger trucks had air wipers for a long time and seals get dry. You make a simple filter out of a 3/8 pipe collar with rope fiber in side to keep crud out.

two.fiveM35

I held my finger over the air outlet and turned the wiper by hand. That popped the button out. Then I replaced it with a metal wiper motor.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. I bought a cheap plastic replacement and hooked up a air hose from the shop compressor (80psi) and blew the end off and almost got me in the nuts. **** it hurt.

After cleaning and lubing my old metal units, they worked for a short period of time. They had excessive blow by of the seals. I disassembled them again and found the coiled spring seal expanders were just iron oxide. I replaced the springs with an o-ring of similar cross section. This did the trick. The seals are expanded to the cylinder walls and the blow by is gone. Have not had a failure since. I just need to do the second one to match now.

rustystud

After cleaning and lubing my old metal units, they worked for a short period of time. They had excessive blow by of the seals. I disassembled them again and found the coiled spring seal expanders were just iron oxide. I replaced the springs with an o-ring of similar cross section. This did the trick. The seals are expanded to the cylinder walls and the blow by is gone. Have not had a failure since. I just need to do the second one to match now.
Now that is "thinking out of the box !" I'll have to remember that little trick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks