• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Ride Deuce

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wonder how his setup would do with side loading say on a slope. Besides the shock what else keep it centered under the frame rails?
The front mount is pretty robust and keeps everything in line.

The side slope deal depends on how many height control valves he has. Most OTR trucks have a single height control valve mounted in the center and it contols both bags (same pressure in both bags). Off road this could cause problems because it will lean to the downhill side. You can correct most of this problem by using two height valves (one on each side). That way each bag would work independent of each other and maintain the same ride height on each side. This can also decrease articulation though so it's a trade off.

Last edited:

Farmun

Has anyone installed air bags on their Deuce and kept the tandem axles?

(BTW: I installed a set of Firestone air bag helpers on my wife's Xterra yesterday. Tired of riding on the bump stops. )

Last edited:

wehring

I don't understand

I don't get this system either. How do you control side load? Example. If you are on flat ground and you are doing donuts what keeps the axle centered if you hit a rut with your rear axle? Is there an internal strength member to the air bag? If not it would be like putting a 47" cheater bar in the front mount and pulling sideways.

This is the easiest airbag conversion I have seen and if it has lateral support it is a winner. Just trying to understand the system.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

hemichallenger

I have mounted a torque arm on some of them that go from the frame to the top center of the rear end housing. You center it at the ride hight that you want. If you want to do donuts and you do no have a lot of wheel speed you might need one but normal off roading
there is not much side travel. I control the ride height from inside the cab and also run a dump valve and not a auto level setup. The 53s will not rub a shortened deuce bed with this set up and the air dumped. Freightliner uses this on a 40000 pound rear tandem with 1 torque arm on each axle.

hemichallenger

I have used the freightliner air ride on a couple 3 axle deuces. On one i added 3 feet to the truck put it on 53s and leathened the bed. I spread the tamdems and used torque arms and it would go down the road smooth at 70.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone installed air bags on their Deuce and kept the tandem axles?
You could but off road capability would suffer. You won't have nowhere near as much articulation between axles as you do with the stock setup. In civilian trucks you won't see air ride on trucks that see much off road work such as dumptrucks and log trucks.