• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air-Ride Front Suspension ???

Scooter_Mann

I have seen several individuals setup air-ride suspension on the rear of bobbed deuces by using a 4 link or Freightliner truck suspension parts. What about the front? Has anyone had success with bagging the front end?

I know that Volvo and also Freigtliner has used front bags between the main spring leaf and the frame. Past experience tells me that over-the-road big trucks that use these types of suspensions are spongey and facilitate a lot of body roll (definitely not something one would look forward to on a vehicle with as high of a center of gravity as a deuce rolling on 53" tall rubber).

I'm getting ready to bob my '71 and plan to utilize Freightliner rear suspension parts as I work for a transportation company that has it's own shop, and it just happens to be a Freightliner dealer as well. An economical vendor for supplying a set of tires / wheels to single out with would be a great help as well! Planning to run 46" to 53" tall rubber. THANK YOU!

Any thoughts on this would be greatly welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

trukhead

Interesting thoughts...

I am not familiar with the Freightliner suspension but remebering the upper and lower arm geometry on vehicles such as the old GM coilspring rear suspensions such as the 66 chevelle and others into the 70's (parrallel lower arms and the upper arms at approximately 90 degrees to each other) one could eliminate a panhard bar and the bags would fit nicely. I would consult an old GM perf book form the 80's as they discuss suspension geometry.

Different mounting points, arm lengths,calculated roll centers, etc... :idea:and adjustablilty could allow the setup to work on the front and rear suspension.

DOM tubing and a threading lathe as well as trick super duper CrMo Heim joints could make this a fun experiment.

I am just guessing but I have thought about this.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Years ago Ford Class 8 tractors had an air bag suspension for their (cabover) cab. One bag on each corner.

I never drove one but the drivers that did said they would scare the crap out of you in a turn because it felt like the truck was rolling over.

Don't know if an air bag suspension would do the same or not.

What would be scary would be a sudden loss of air pressure and a total collapse of the suspension system.