• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air ride HMMWV

moleary

Oh boy - I just gotta ask... WTF???

Just kidding - it's your beautiful high performance off-road vehicle, you can destroy it if you want to! Actually, I guess your name sort of says it all - welcome to the board! ;-)

Last edited:

TedG

What springs do you have in the rear for there is several different types. If you are running heavys, then the hmmwv without load will ride like a dump truck.

DicedDeuceMan

Oh boy - I just gotta ask... WTF???

Just kidding - it's your beautiful high performance off-road vehicle, you can destroy it if you want to! Actually, I guess your name sort of says it all - welcome to the board! ;-)
The M37 on my avitar used to house a blown , inj, ZZ4 small block. Somebody joked one day, do a burnout.. Have you ever seen a M37 laydown 60-80 feet of posi (running hmmwv tires)?

Yes, Mine is strung with the hardest of coils, this used to be a fire truck, allways carring a foam tank in the back. IF I'm taking them out, I'm putting something in that will garrenteed , ride nice.. I had air ride on 2 other vehicles. Love it.. fully adjustable.

dilvoy

I've Been on a few of those fast trains in Europe and they have an air suspension. Very comfortable indeed and the Cheapo Back Packer Tourists don't ride those fast trains and that made for a paradise on wheels. If you can figure out how to raise and lower the air pressure without changine the ride height too much, I think you may actually be able to make it work. Let us know how it works out for you.

TedG

I have the heavys on my M1037 and the lighter ones on an M998. Currently they both weight similar since they are both soft tops and empty. The M998 rides much nicer then the M1037. However, the M998 does not ride like an M151A2 (I had one them as well) so perhaps air suspension might be doable. If you can find someone locally with a M998 have them give you ride in it to see if you like/dislike the ride. If not, then like Dilvoy says...let us know how it works out!

BTW. If you want M998 springs and perchs, I have several sets here available.

moleary

The M37 on my avitar used to house a blown , inj, ZZ4 small block. Somebody joked one day, do a burnout.. Have you ever seen a M37 laydown 60-80 feet of posi (running hmmwv tires)?

Yes, Mine is strung with the hardest of coils, this used to be a fire truck, allways carring a foam tank in the back. IF I'm taking them out, I'm putting something in that will garrenteed , ride nice.. I had air ride on 2 other vehicles. Love it.. fully adjustable.

I gotta say - your idea is growing on me - if it keeps growing on me you're gonna end up costing me money!!! Ever since you posted about air ride suspension I started thinking about it more and more... There is a definite cool factor in making a change like that - although the bags in my father's Range Rover constantly had problems and I have no other off-road vehicles with airbag suspension to compare it to.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

stjames151

I took the old fronts out and put in BlueHummer 12k extended. Then I put the old fronts in the rear and added a 1" spacer. It rides like a caddy through the whoops, but the Cummins is a little heavier than the 6.2L that came in it. It was a lot simpler than doing Rons conversion, but his is pretty bad ass.