• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift or REB kit

JasonS

My sprag doesn't work in this sub freezing weather and I can't get around without the front axle. It is adjusted fine and works in reverse. If I start from a stop, it works (sprags catch). The sprags will not catch when in motion. There are no air shift transfer cases in my area (within driving distance of SE So. Dak). Based on an internet search, I am betting on ~$500 + truck freight for an air shift. The REB kit seems like an easy and cost effective solution. What would you guys recommend?

mcinfantry

the sir shift is nice, and i was given mine free. that being said, if the money was even, or just close, id go REB. the reb would have to be DOUBLE an air shift IMO to make me buy an airshift, then install it.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just so you are aware, the t-fer case is the same in every year on the M35. Only the front nose piece containing either sprag or sliding gear is different. It is fairly easy to replace one with the other in a short time. That nosepiece is not too heavy to ship FedEx or UPS.

Also, it sounds like you may have too heavy a lube for your climate in there. Cold-weather GO is a lot thinner.

dg

dg

mcinfantry

i remember someone trying to replace the nose gear only and couldnt get it to work. have you ever personally switched a sprag to air shift, or you just think it will?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lee, It was Lance that tried to convert his sprag to airshift. I can't rember why, but he said too many parts were different. I believe he ended up swapping the whole t-case out. Jason, i swapped to a airshift and i'm very happy with it. In the mean time i would put the truck in 1st gear (engine off, pb set) and look at the linkage from the back of the tranny to the t-case. Is the lever fully engaging the sprag? If the linkage is worn mabye it isn't moving the shift fork as far as it's sopposed to. Mine did that. I would still swap to a REB, or a Airshift. It's a lot easier to steer and a lot easier on the pinion bearings.

JasonS

The transfer case is adjusted OK. The reverse sprag is fine; I can back out of anything. If I start from a stop (jerk), the sprags catch. It would slip once in awhile this summer so it is probably safe to say that it is worn out.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
t-fer fix

Yes, I have swapped them before, at least going from sprag to air shift. The entire front drive section is removed and the other is placed in the same manner. A new gasket is advised.
Memphis' REB kit may require something more, I have never had one of them apart.

dg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Esteemed dg,

would you please be kind enough to explain to us ignorants how you make your air shift T-136-27 front section work on the T-136-21 sprag unit without also exchanging the rear output shafts 8376462 & 10937638??? (TM9-2520-246-34P, fig. 9 and 10)
Yes, all other parts are the same or reusable, but just installing the corresponding shaft means to me opening the rear housing, change parts, re-adjust bearing preload, etc. It would be great to learn how to do that in a while with the TC in place!

BTW, I don't use gaskets, just Loctite 518.

I prefer the air shift TC because it gives me equal speed front and rear, very important in soft sand. While engaged, the sprag unit rear output turns 8% faster than front output!!

Gerhard

Attachments

mcinfantry

taken from:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=684&highlight=air+shift

Monster Man said:
well, my fears were true :freaked:

the cases are NOT the same, as said the airshift has a different setup that goes into the case itself, not just the output cover. My case as you can see is left with a female hole when the sprag gear set is removed, the airshift has a solid shaft coming out of there that a clutch mounts on and is safety wired to. So, you have to get the whole air case if you want airshift. I'm talking with Dave about another option though.......

JasonS

The REB kit is no longer available. Anyone know of a source for an air shift transfer case near SE south dakota?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JasonS, if your sprag is worn out, would you pay $20.- plus Fedex from Montevideo/Uruguay to your place for a brand new replacement sprag? I don't know what they cost there but I could send you a dozend or more if you could use them.

Gerhard

spicergear

Memphis offers/offered two REB kits. One was for the auto tranny in the GMC deuces and the other is for our T-cases. There was no confusion on that right? I've had my share of confusion with them-

JasonS

I clearly stated "m35 transfer case" in my email. But, you never know...

IF I replace the sprags, how reliable is the sprag transfer case? Obviously, they are a wear item but how long should they last?

Gerhard,
Are you offering to sell just the sprags themselves?

Desert Rat

Jason,

Replace the sprags A.S.A.P.!!!! Air shift will prevent a bunch of expen$ive problems sprags create. I know first hand. My sprage shift has messed up a bunch of bearings, the steering, several u-joints and a bunch of other parts due to the binding they cause. Great idea in theory, but a piece of junk in practice.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1952 M275 tractor was my first sprag truck and it always worked flawlessly. Frankly, I've never had one that didn't work flawlessly. Most problems are from linkage mal-adjustment or broken linkage parts. When DR was here I popped the link with the spring loaded shaft off his truck and there, was no spring. It's no wonder he's had problems, the sprag was engaged one way no matter what. I have extra transfer cases and have changed from sprag to air but not because of dependablility issues, more because I prefer air shifts. For the whole 30 minutes my wrecker ran before I ruined the motor, i tested the it and the sprag engaged just fine. I would bet 8 out of 10 sprags will work with the linkage fixed and adjusted, they are very hearty.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks