• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift or REB kit

spicergear

JasonS said:
The REB kit is no longer available. Anyone know of a source for an air shift transfer case near SE south dakota?
That is a VERY INCORRECT statement-

BOTH REB KIT's are available from Memphis Equipment.

REO Sprag eliminator kit - $483

GMC auto tranny kit - $4.. somthing

I called them 12/16/05-

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JasonS, it’s only the sprag itself as a spare part, about 10 lbs.?

In your case I only would replace it if it comes out real cheap. Otherwise I’d follow Brent’s advice and swap the entire T-Case for an air-shift unit.

Kenneth, you’re right: most often the only cause of mal-function and consequent broken front axle components is that connecting linkage with rusty or broken or missing springs (poor engineering!?) and people who generally don’t understand their function. But even if properly adjusted and working that T-case still doesn’t give you equal traction front/rear when you need it most. That’s why I (and so many others) prefer the air-shift.

Gerhard

JasonS

I'll give Memphis a call on Monday but here is their response to my email:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2005 1:45 PM
To: 'info'
Subject: RE: M35 transfer case REB kit

I'm sorry Jason we no longer have the m 35 reb kits

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:12 PM
To: jyork@memphisequipment.com
Subject: FW: M35 transfer case REB kit
Importance: High

I would like some information on your REB kit for the M35 transfer case.

Thanks,
Jason

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
T-case sonversion

The kits I used to go from sprag to air shift had a stub shaft provided that just inserted into the existing female spline and allowed the change-out without any removal of the case. They were part of a late-model mod kit from Rockwell.

They were surplus items from an auction in Alameda, Ca back in the late 80's.

On another thought, how would one think the ratios for the front drive were any different from the rear? THe sprag is not a reduction device, rather just a no-slip coupling that will not normally transmit torque if both halves are turning the same speed. In the Reo, you get about 6% slip difference from rear to front, and the front grabs on until the speeds are equalized again. Once it locks in, it is 1:1.

About the only thing underirable about the sprag coupling is it will allow freewheeling when decending hills and that can be a bit unnerving.

dg

JasonS

I called Memphis Equip this morning and talked to their parts dept. They do NOT have any more sprag eliminator kits. They sold the last two this month and ar not going to make any more. They haven't found a cost effective company to manufacture the gears so they are not going to mess with them any more. I am going to order a new sprag assembly and keep my eye open for an air shift.

There were kits to convert the sprag to air shift. Memphis sold out of them long ago. They were ~$1300. Not very cost effective.

The front and rear of the sprag transfer case do NOT have the same ratio. Per TM9-1819B, the front ratio is 1.078:1 whereas the rear is 1.00:1 in Hi range.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pity as those were neat kits. Thankfully there are tons of air shifts out there. I have 2 extras that I need to inspect. Hopefully one is good so that once I get the wrecker running, I can swap that out. No problem with the sprag at all, just like the air shift.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G744 said:
It is fairly easy to replace one with the other in a short time.
G744 said:
The entire front drive section is removed and the other is placed in the same manner...
dg
Sorry, but this is what made me nervous, dg. OK, now you are talking about special kits?... And I'm still looking for those existing female splines!?...
Front output gears are 21 and 34 teeth respectively (see attachment). Unless that kit (or any REB kit) came with new 22 T and 33 T gears your modified T-136-21 transfer case still had that 8% speed difference front – rear. Originally the sprag only grabs if rear axles are slipping 8% or more in either direction. On firm ground REOs function more like 6x4 trucks! But never let a REO roll backwards by pressing the clutch while in first gear, or forward in reverse!

Gerhard

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks