• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Shift or Sprag??

vinny-socom1

Hello everyone!

I think this question might have been asked before but from my search I can see no complete answers? My truck DOES NOT have the AirShift set up so I guess its a Sprag type. With this said which is better? I do more On-road than OFF-road driving but I"m thinking of installing lockout hubs on the front & frt rear axle, it seems that I can improve turning & performance with this set up? but will the lockout hubs preform better with a Sprag or AirShift T-case? is it worth upgrading to a Airshift kit?? if I upgrade to an Airshift kit whats involved in it. I have a local boneyard that has a couple of Airshift T-case's but do I need the whole thing or just the frt output assy.? is a kit from Memphis better? Well I think I'm rambling on here so please any help in this matter would be great!!!

Thanks

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
vinny-socom1 said:
Hello everyone!

I think this question might have been asked before but from my search I can see no complete answers? My truck DOES NOT have the AirShift set up so I guess its a Sprag type. With this said which is better?
I would prefer a well adjusted , dependable sprague
vinny-socom1 said:
I do more On-road than OFF-road driving but I"m thinking of installing lockout hubs on the front & frt rear axle, it seems that I can improve turning & performance with this set up? but will the lockout hubs preform better with a Sprag or AirShift T-case?
the airshift would be better to use with front lockouts, rear lockouts would not be affected by transfer type
vinny-socom1 said:
is it worth upgrading to a Airshift kit?? if I upgrade to an Airshift kit whats involved in it. I have a local boneyard that has a couple of Airshift T-case's but do I need the whole thing or just the frt output assy.? is a kit from Memphis better? Well I think I'm rambling on here so please any help in this matter would be great!!!

Thanks
I changed over from sprague to airshift, but only because my sprague was damaged and I was able to get an airshift pretty cheap. If you are going to the trouble to change it over I would do the whole thing, not try to mix parts. It was pretty straightforward just make sure you get the switch/airlines/tees etc. I don't have enough experience w/ the memphis kit to add anything there.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Air Shift or Sprag??

If I had my choice, I would choose an airshift truck over one with a sprag...less to worry about and I like the idea of being able to lock in the front wheels BEFORE I need them. With that said, there is nothing wrong with a truck with a sprag...but the operator has more things to consider (don't let the truck roll backward while in a forward gear or forward will in reverse, always start out in 1st gear, etc.). I am sure someone with more knowledge will reply about the hubs (I've never had them on a truck), but I thought you could not use the lockout hubs with the sprag transfer case.

citizensoldier

Airshift all the way.. I have one truck with a sprag, buddy has two of them.. None of them work.. There is a reason the Army uprgraded to the air shift.. I also agree with Bkubu. Nice to lock it in before you need it not loose traction in the rear and wait for it to kick in when you lost your momentum. 2cents

vinny-socom1

Does anyone have a diagram for an AirShift set up I can get a used AirShift T-case and switch but I don't know how the system lines run? any photo's? how tough is it to swap??

vinny-socom1

I just got off the phone with Memphis Eq. they don't have the AirShift upgrade kits any more and want to sell me a complete T-case for $1900.00 NO Thanks I'll go used for now. So if anyone has photo's or a diagram it would be very helpful Thanks

JDToumanian

A few other things that haven't been answered yet...

You can't easily change a sprag transfer case's internals to an air shift... There's more to it than swapping the gears in the output housing. It's been done by at least one member here but it was a lot of work and required complete disassembly and parts from inside an air shift case. The air shift conversion kit that is available (SS sponsor "Front Line MV" has them for around $60) does not include any transfer case internals or even a transfer case, but rather has all the parts needed to put an air shift case into a truck that had a sprag... Air switch, brackets, hoses, copper tubing, fittings, screws, etc. So, the usual conversion procedure is to buy both a NOS or used air shift case and the conversion kit or take off parts from an air shift truck.

I like the idea of the Memphis REB shift kit, but it isn't available any more and it was expensive.

Last year, I converted my truck to an air shift. On the sandy terrain I like to drive on here in the desert the difference is remarkable!

Regards,
Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Re: Air Shift or Sprag??

citizensoldier said:
There is a reason the Army uprgraded to the air shift.
There are two reasons - one less thing to adjust, and a key army officer (whose name escapes me at the moment) did not like the sprag. I have a stack of reports from Aberdeen and Yuma Proving Ground that is probably 2 inches thick, none of which indicate any advantage in the performance of the air shift over a properly adjusted sprag.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

citizensoldier

RE: Re: RE: Re: Air Shift or Sprag??

Well Doc thats the key "properly adjusted sprag" "one less thing to adjust" They seem to be a big pain in the butt and fail you when you need them. I consider them nice boat anchors for maybe a 40 ft yot? rofl
All the five tons are sprags so there must be a way to keep that system working? It would be nice to have air selection on them so you could put lockouts and get better mileage.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is there a boneyard in Ocala? I am headed that way, via Atlanta, end of May and may have some spare time?

vinny-socom1

Its in Live Oak, FL south of I-10 its 2 hours north of me. PM me and I can give you his phone number, his yard was in south Florida area by Kenny & Dman which he knows them pretty well. What are you looking for maybe I can tell you if its there or not I'm picking up some parts(Winch!!) Saturday may be I can look for it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been told that the 5 ton sprag design is much more robust and that is why it worked better and for longer. You still have the same "care and operation" issues mentioned previously, but the 5 ton sprag is more stout.

vinny-socom1

Hey Kenny I think Matt has a cab for you? let me know if I can help, I'm in the middle so I can pick it up for you and meet you half way or something. I'll tell Matt you said Hello!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He does have a cab for me. See if he will let you pick it up. I'll have my pickup running here shortly and it would be much easier to buzz up to your place to get it. I know it's quite a haul but if you were to want to drive your truck down here, we could whip out the swap. You would have more time driving for sure and the fuel would eat you up. As far as the swap, the main stuff you will need is the hose from the transfer, the brass bulkhead piece of sorts that the hose attaches to, the bulkhead fitting on the firewall near the glove compartment and the air lever assy. I can walk you through it when you do it. Also take a look at one of Matts air shift trucks for ideas. I should also point out that the compression nuts on the 1/4 copper line are kinda unique the military stuff. Let me know if I can help.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a sprag that did it best to get me stuck! After a while it only worked in forward. I installed lockouts and a airshift. Milage goes up and alot less wear and tear on the front axle. Airshift is the only way to go.

vinny-socom1

Thanks Kenny I'm going to pick up a winch assy, once thats in then I'll be working on the AirShift next. I got stuck a couple of weekends ago and there was a BIG oak tree about 30' away which would have let me get myself out instead a had to call AAA you should have seem the drivers face when he got there!!! it was priceless...so I will get with you on the AirShift swap when I start. Let me know when your going to pick up your cab if I can I'll pick it up for you and you can run by my house I live about 4 miles from I-75 so I might be able to save you some time & fuel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks