• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air shift problem fixed

dozer113

Well I followed SS's recomendations for fixing my air shift problem with the deuce. Thanks for all of your advice. I ordered the repair kit and just like someone said when I pulled it apart some military mechanic put the piston in backwards. Put the new kit on, which was very small quarters to work in, but I managed, flipped the air switch and I heard the clunk when it engaged.

We have an inch of snow so it was very easy to test for sure. Hit the switch and low and behold, power to the front axle. I love it...

Thanks guys for all the help, it sure helps us newly inducted "green horns" a bunch.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you share the part #s and cost and source?

dozer113

Memphis has the rebuild kit for around $110.00 dollars, however I went to Ebay and searched for parts for M35 and there was one for $35.00 bucks. The persons email is
(military54@aol.com), very fast service and exactly what I needed.

The kit is called; parts kit, transfer case shifting air cylinder P/N 10948012. It even came with a nice diagram and directions so it would be hard to mess it up.

mhb285

I think that this is the problem with my "NEW REBUILT" air shift T-case. I've got the rebuild kit. Can it be fixed without removing the T-case?
Thanks
Mike

jatonka

This has been a great thread, all the steel soldiers should be pleased with the guidance, after action report and description of how to get the kit. Kudos to all involved. This site does work well. JT

mhb285

Well I've rebuilt the air shift air cylinder & now I get the "klunk" when I engauge it. I can only hear it with the engine off and 90lbs on air in the tanks.
When I drive it around my storage yard and turn the corners the steering wheel gets "jerkey".
Am I doing something wrong? Did I screw up the rebuild?
Can you engauge it on the fly?
I spend a couple of hours going thru my TM's and can't find anything.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks
Mike

budman67

Can you engauge it on the fly?
Or do you stop it & engauge it?
I don't wan to mess it up..
Thanks
Mike
Do you mean 4hi to 6hi,I think you can,as long as you are not turning or spinning
a wheel.I haven't read the entire manual,but all wheels being equal,you should
be able to engage the front wheels.It should act much like a 4x4,try it at SLOW
speed and listen for engagement or grind.

Jimma

I think you can engage it safely on the fly. I let off the peddle so there is not a strain on anythning instantly then hit the switch. Many times when turning or off road the front end will feel jerky when its engaged. It has done that on about every duece I have driven.

Ditch Baby

anybody have problems with the switch leaking air? As soon as i start the deuce, all the air escapes out the two holes on the side of the switch

edit. finally found what i was looking for.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks