• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shift switch behavior question

blacktop_one

I engaged my transfer case air shift switch for the first time today (no ugly noises, yay!) and was curious as to whether it's normal for it to pop off with a pffffft when you turn it back off? I've searched the other threads on air shift transfer case operation and didn't see this question answered.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That is the switch making the hissing noise.....a small amount of air is released when you engage/disengage it.
You should be able to tell if the front axle is engaged by a slight jerking sensation when you turn.
The front axle should never be operated on hardball roads unless conditions warrent....ice, snow, mud, etc.
It can cause damage to the driveline if you do.

rlwm211

an additional piece of advice

I agree and aclknowledge that Wreckerman is absolutely correct. I would add this advice also:

Do not engage your front end when you have unbalanced rotation of your wheels. I am saying that if you are spinning your rears. STOP!!!!! Engage the front end. Then proceed. If you drop that front end in with the driveline under motion, I am afraid to think of how many little bits and pieces you can turn some of the gears into.

If you are under "normal" motion, i.e. not spinning; You can engage your front end, but because it is air, you have no way of judging whether it is engaging nicely or not. I generally know I will need the front end engaged before I get into trouble and try to always shift while stationary.

The deuce is very different than a typical older 4x4 with a one or two lever transfer case. The air shift is pretty forceful. You have not a clue as to how easily the gears are engaging; or are NOT ENGAGING for some reason.

The new 4x4s or "all wheel drives" (AWD) have synchromesh and all sorts of wonderfully expensive parts to allow you to engage your 4x4 at speed.

Since I have to fix my own vehicles, I like the dinosaur technology of the vehicles I have.

Just my two cents, and if I am mistaken on some point,
I am never offended by someone bringing it to my attention!
Knowledge is power!
RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks