• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air shift

ajg6989

all I can say is it not fun when the axle locks in and the steering wheel starts spinning and the deuce goes off in whatever direction it wants. A friend of mine actually broke his wrist because his hand was inside the wheel when it went spinning. Air shift is much better you decide when it locks in.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air shift works like part time 4WD in a civilian truck. When you engage by moving the air shift lever, an air cylinder on the transfer locks in the drive clutch to the front axle. This is the same thing you do when you pull your transfer lever on your part time 4WD into lock. The non-air shifts have two overrunning clutches in the transfer that engage the front drive when rear wheel slip exceeds a certain percentage. There is also an air cylinder or mechanical linkage on this type that shifte from the forward drive overrunning clutch to the reverse driving overrunning clutch when you shift to the respective forward or reverse gears in the main trans. The front axle does not have power to it until the rear spins the required percentage.

Regards

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks