• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air shocks on M1009 ??

Milkman357

Thanks

I didn't know that about the front, that's good news, i don't need front ones.
I think i do need help in the back. If you look at my profile photo, looks like rear is squatting...

Will air suspension kit help rear return to correct height?

AJMBLAZER

No, it'd just be a bandaid. You'd still have sagging springs. The add on air suspensions are meant to increase hauling capability or towing stability, not regularly be used as part of the suspension.

First off, measure from the body line on the fenders down to the ground or the center of your wheel hubs. The front and rear wheel wells aren't the same height relative to each other so it does make these K5's look like they're squatting a bit. When I got my K5 last month I was sure it was squatting in the rear. Measuring the body lines showed that in fact it's about 1.5" high in the rear, just as it should be.

trucker 1954

air ride

air spring kit for 1986 1 ton 4x4 ran about $ 295 .. from summit easy install running 37 inch tires no problem front only 2 inch blocks in rear with add a leaf

Milkman357

Upon futher reveiw...

I was looking at my rear springs again, They aren't flat, have an arc, and aren't down to last spring, so that's good. But, I measured from the edge of the fender down to wheel center (hub). The rear is 3-4 inches lower than front? Maybe I'm not measuring from the correct spot? If the rear is supposed to be lower than the front, so be it. I'm not buying new springs. I'm kinda curious though!

AJMBLAZER

Ahem...

First off, measure from the body line on the fenders down to the ground or the center of your wheel hubs. The front and rear wheel wells aren't the same height relative to each other so it does make these K5's look like they're squatting a bit. When I got my K5 last month I was sure it was squatting in the rear. Measuring the body lines showed that in fact it's about 1.5" high in the rear, just as it should be.

Measure from the body line to the center of the wheel hub. The body line is a constant distance on the body, the fender lips are not.

BTW, the rear is supposed to be 1-2" higher for load carrying.

Milkman357

Ok

Measurements of front and rear seem to be even....the same height. So I guess know I know rear is not lower than front, but still tired after 25 years. I'll have to wait and see what happens when I load it up with hunting gear, jugs of water, deer....ect.

AJMBLAZER

www.offroaddesign.com has their 1" zero rate add a leaves (basically a block but it bolts into the pack like another leaf) that would give you a bit more height in the rear. Keep things a bit more kosher.

You might try throwing a few hundred pounds in the rear and see what it does.
Settles an inch or two and the zero rates would be fine.
Drops a lot and you're very nose high and then it might be time for a new set of springs or a long add a leaf perhaps.