• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air System Drain Valves - Are mine just old and tired?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My M936 seems to be configured just like all the other 939 Series so far as the air system is concerned. On the passenger side, I have 4 (looks like radiator petcocks). I guess they haven't been opened in a while... Sprayed them down with WD-40 and let them sit. Still no go. So a pair of pliers was required to get them opened up the first time. Didn't get much water but I did get a little out of all four lines.

TM9-2320-272-10 on Page 2-12 shows exactly what I have in the picture of my truck (minus the rust).

I am GUESSING that a manual valve like this is better than the "pull valves" because the weeds and sticks can't cause a problem in the woods? It drives me nuts to see the drains higher than the tanks they are draining - but I guess water will run UP HILL if it is under pressure.?

My M936 Air DrainValves.jpg Air Tank Drainvalves.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Air lines will be fine. Replace the air fitting to pipe adapter and the u bolts

Use napa # 12110 for new quarter turn drain valves

I recommend an auto drain valve on the wet tank and delete the train at the step. The auto drain hooks directly to the tank. Valve is a Dv2 type. Or part # KN24000 at parts places but ebay is cheapest

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Air lines will be fine. Replace the air fitting to pipe adapter and the u bolts

Use napa # 12110 for new quarter turn drain valves

I recommend an auto drain valve on the wet tank and delete the train at the step. The auto drain hooks directly to the tank. Valve is a Dv2 type. Or part # KN24000 at parts places but ebay is cheapest

Thanks Wes! I have them on the way. ebay was 25% less than napa online.

71DeuceAK

The M939 air system can be a little quirky. I know people who have tried to run these trucks, including the 936 wreckers, in arctic/subarctic climates and have bad stories. There are some ups and downs in the air lines that tend to freeze up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I noticed the AK in your handle and the Fairbanks, Alaska for a location. I would imagine the heated spit valves would be a requirement up there. We have a few days of freezing weather every winter - but nothing like what you get. It just really seemed odd to me that air tank drains were above the tanks themselves. My guess is that treating those drains like your life depends on it - draining them every time - as part of the pre-trip should minimize the potential. Wes Simpson pointed me in the direction of a DV-2 automatic valve for the wet tank. That arrived and needs to be installed...

These trucks definitely seem to break some of the rules when it comes to air line routing.

71DeuceAK

Actually, the worst experiences I've seen were in Minot, North Dakota. Think ridiculous windchill. With that said, common sense dictates things need to flow downhill so they don't get water trapped and freeze up.

The guy I worked with in the Minot area (my first apprenticeship, if you could very vaguely think of it as that) actually disagreed with the published procedure for draining all the tanks- he was of the opinion that just allows more moisture in causing more problems. This was even on a 936A2...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Actually, the worst experiences I've seen were in Minot, North Dakota. Think ridiculous windchill. With that said, common sense dictates things need to flow downhill so they don't get water trapped and freeze up.

The guy I worked with in the Minot area (my first apprenticeship, if you could very vaguely think of it as that) actually disagreed with the published procedure for draining all the tanks- he was of the opinion that just allows more moisture in causing more problems. This was even on a 936A2...
I have never been to the Dakota's. I would imagine it would be pretty miserable in the winter with the wind whipping across the open ground. The old cowboy movies show it that way.

I started working at a place that used MV's to construct steel high lines in 1983. I knew a lot about gas engines and pickup trucks but that was about it. In fairly short order, I was given a Duce to overhaul. I saw it as a pickup on steroids and did fairly well. These were WWII and Korean vintage machines. Brakes had a "booster" and we had a few dozen "air over hydraulic" 5 Tons with multi-fuel power plants.

Fell into servicing the lowboy trailers that hauled the trucks and discovered a new animal. The "whining steering wheel holder". They would always have something to whine about. It started with air leaks. Their tractors would sit for a half hour and have no air... It took time, but eventually I managed to get the pair of Astro95's and a pair of Road Boss, and a half dozen Ford 9000's to the point they would still have air after sitting overnight. Lots of time with spray bottles of dish soap...

ANYHOW, the story about air and water and daily draining came to me from one of the better drivers. Apparently at some point in his lifetime, he had encountered ice in air - so he was hard core about draining. That caused me to start looking at the trailers. They all had tank drains but you had to crawl under the trailer and/or lay on the ground to do it. Over time, I got that made better with pull cables carefully routed so they wouldn't get snagged on anything. Those weren't perfect but they were better than drivers ignoring it because it was a pain... They would use them if it was easy. I was guessing that was how the 9xx series ended up with 4 drains on the passenger step. Easy, it gets done. Pain, it gets ignored.

I learned a lot and eventually earned the respect of the drivers. Especially when I learned how to adjust their trailer brakes! One piece at the time. The "old guy" that taught me how to do that was in his late 30's (haha). He took an interest in me - OR - he had me do the stuff he didn't want to do - not sure which. Slack Adjusters on a tractor or a trailer was no big deal, but on a lowboy it can be pretty tight under there... He didn't like doing it, so that became my job.

71DeuceAK

Ha! Sounds like we have some similar stories by far. I first wanted a deuce to beat on off-road but then fell in love with them pretty quickly when I started reading stories of those who served and their experiences with the trucks.

One of my first experiences with them was the guy who used to come out (and still does) to my remote community to do fuel delivery, had a M109 shop van made into a propane truck. I loved the thing from 14 years old. Was the only vehicle in town.

Fast forward a few years and I got into them. Went back to his place (rural homestead) and got to ride around in M49A2s, not all of which had brakes. Sat in his M929 dump truck. I knew that M939 series cab was home.

Later met a few other members of this site (Had one as a first college roommate). Went back to the guy's place for work a few years later and the M929 was one of the first things I ever drove- at age 20.

Since met even more of you and it's become what I do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks