• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air system really sufficient for impact use?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahhhh. I see. Nice.

So, when you have the glad hand connected to a air hose running to a portable tank acting as an extra air supply, what / how do you stop the air flow from over filling the tank? Do you just watch the gauge on the tank and when it gets to 120PSI (just an example) shut off the valve on the truck air line at the glad hand?

I read contrasting suggestions on impact usage on the truck for the lug nuts. Some say gotta have 3/4" drive impact, some say a GOOD 1/2" drive IR impact will be good enough.

I've been going around and around in my head on what to buy and how to configure the air supply for running an impact off the truck. I will likely have to change a tire when I pick my Deuce up, so I need some ability to remove and install lug nuts.

I see guys say go with 1/2" hose all the way, some say 3/8" hose is fine. If I go with 1/2" hose, and use (if I can find) 1/2" fittings to the impact it will still get choked down to 1/4" at the fitting on the impact won't it?

The air governor on the truck shouldn't let you put over 120 PSI in the tank. If your truck builds over 120 PSI your governor needs adjusting.

As far as impact size goes, I've seen lugnuts that wouldn't come loose with a 1" impact without heat from a torch so I'd say you'd need a 3/4" at a minimum.

littlebob

I have used a 1/2 " hose, and a 1" double hammer impact from Harbor Freight, and off the truck will take the lugs off the 5 ton.
Thats what I plan to use if I ever get mine finished. I bought just to get the wheels off the first time. The bigger hammers in it break it free real quick. It consumes gobs of air, but only takes a second to get them loose then I would do the rest by hand.

rwoods

The air governor on the truck shouldn't let you put over 120 PSI in the tank. If your truck builds over 120 PSI your governor needs adjusting.

As far as impact size goes, I've seen lugnuts that wouldn't come loose with a 1" impact without heat from a torch so I'd say you'd need a 3/4" at a minimum.
Don't exceed you tank rating; just let it run and check your tank guage; I doubt you will have any problem.

Removing the lugs the first time can be a bear. We used a 1" connected to an industrial tow behind diesel compressor and even with a lot of penetrating oil it was tough. For my personal subsequent uses, I have a large 3/4' breaker bar from Northern Tool and the hottest 1/2" impact I could afford from Northern Tool. I use the bar to bear the lugs loose and the impact to finish the job (which I know is just the reverse of a lot of folks, but I have more uses for a 1/2" impact than I do for a 3/4" impact. You just need to figure out what best suits you and your budget). I believe if you properly torque the lugs when you re-install them, you'll find the second time is a lot easier than the first time.

rwoods

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks