• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air system

extremetownie

can someone tell me how the air system works. expecially what sets the max psi. i assume some sort of regulator. i have done away with my air brakes because of too many problems. i beleive if i can boost my pressure a little my air assist steering will work better. thanks in advance

Westech

CPL
well I would not boost the PSI.. tanks.. compressor.. lines might not like that. there is a regulator on the fire wall that activates the compressor. I would hate to see a busted compressor because you upped the operating pressure. and what did you do to your brakes? how did you get rid of the air pack?

bottleworks

extremetownie said:
i have done away with my air brakes because of too many problems.
Your joking, right? What did you do to replace the braking system?

The air governor is located on the firewall. It is adjustable. I would not go above 120 PSI.

The gov will apply air to the unloaders in the air compressor to stop the compressor from pumping additional air into the air system. When it sees the system's air pressure drop, it will release air to the unloaders and the compressor will pump air into the system again. The pistons in the compressor are always in motion.

extremetownie

RE: Re: air system

how do you adjust it? when i first got the truck it would pump up 90 psi. now it only goes to 75 psi. im not lokking to blow it up, just get it back to 90 so my steering works better.

Racky

Extremetownie start with checking air compressor belt condition and tension if all is good take the black cap off the regulator you will see a screw with a lock nut loosen lock nut and turn screw in 1/8 th turn if pressure doesnt come up it could either be a partially clogged air screen on the regulator, A faulty regulator, Or a compressor on its way out. Try adjusting the regulator and get back to us.

Racky

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll also want to check the truck for air leaks. Does it hold air overnight? It should. Often, on these trucks, there has been considerable "deferred maintainance". The whole system has been run down. The trucks were built tough, but they are not "fool proof"!

Lee in Alaska

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=2382
You turn the screw out or counter clockwise to increase. Go slow and 1/4 turn should get you 4lb. I would also say that you might want to hook up another gage to confirm that the dash gage is reading correct. We have talked about this before and the drain valve on the tank would be the spot.
In for a dime in for a dollar. If you have never serviced the compressor air filter you might as well and be done with it for awhile. The more you ask of the compressor the harder it must work so myself 100/110lb.

extremetownie

thanks for the info on the air. i will try it tomorrow. as for the brakes, this is a work truck used mostly offroad so being economical was important but it does work real well. i removed the rear brakes completely and bolted jeep cj rotor to the hubs using the 8 bolt holes opposite the axle bolt holes, used caliper bracket we made for dana 60 conversion to disk brakes and chevy 3/4 ton calipers. on the front i could not get it to fit so we put a pinion brake on front. then i used a adjustable proportional valve to send most of the braking to the rear. i used a jeep master cylinder that was made for front disk and rear drums and plumbed the the disk side to the rear and the drum to the front. it stops very well. the only problem was getting the rod adjusted correctly. i would use this on a truck on the road occasionally but i would not tell anyone else to. i'm not an engineer i just use what i have and make it work.

jwaller

holy cow. all that to not have to get the stock system to work? I would think that getting the stock system working would have been much cheaper easier and quicker. so if you removed the stock system what use is the air to you anymore? are you running tools from it?

man I would ask for a pic but I kinda don't want to see it. makes me cringe thinking about it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks