• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Tank Ooops!

dabtl

While trying to remove the air tank drain valve, it broke off in the tank.

David apparently tried to remove it. Apparently, after drilling the hole, it appears to be very close to the threads.

Any suggestions on how to remove the remaining bronze?-

pa.rich

If you can remove the tank it would be easier to see and work on. If it broke off it is probalbly corroded on the threads. Soak it in p.b. blaster penetrating oil and then get a set of "E.Zee " outs and try that. It doesnt always work. The threads may get scraped. You could always buy a used tank and replace it. Sometimes a sharp small screw driver and lightly tapping the broken piece counter clockwise will start to move it. Hope this helps.

dabtl

I thought that would be the case. I have one coming this week from JNT Murray. :cry:

The PB Blaster works great, I wish he had used some first.

ygmir

If you've drilled it close to the tank threads, you might be able to run a pipe fitting, threading die in and cut the brass out......or push it ahead of the die......

dabtl

zak187 said:
Id try a tap.
I had thought of that. I suppose buying a tap is much easier and cheaper than buying another and a lot easier to fix than changing it out.

I think I will try that as a last resort. If it works, OK, and if not I am not in worse shape than now.

dabtl

I had planned on using a tap yesterday. But, however, I was also working on the M135 replacing the tail gate steps. Two bolts had to be ground out. I used the four inch cutting blade. On looking down I noticed that I had set my shirt on fire. :shock: My wife decided that was enough for the day! I will try again this next week.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like it might be dangerous for the truck, to have you working on it!

If you ever get the tank out, inspect it. If its still serviceable, heat that immediate area, with the broken fitting. The heat will loosen the broken part in the threads, then you can pick it out/with the easy out or chisel, etc, as required.

Lee in Alaska

dabtl

OK, got it fixed. Used yellobronc's suggestion. Worked out fine. I used the 7/16 drill to remove most of the material and the tap with anti-seize on it. It took a dozen or more in and outs to get it cleaned.

I am taking the hammer away from David tonight!

dabtl

devilman96 said:
Next time... Heat the fitting first.. Brass into steel doesnt like to move after a while, even with PB Blaster heat it will save a lot of greef.
Had I been doing the job, I would have used heat. However, my novice mechanic son was active in the matter.

I got the clean up job, he finished installing the pull cable release system quite nicely. You have to learn somewhere, this was his time. :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks