• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Tools

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had been thinking about adding an extra tank somewhere for aux air. Feed it off the trucks air system with a pressure protective valve inline. Could have a secondary feed to it via small 24v compressor I have one somewhere.

snowtrac nome

I used to run air tools off a duce straight off the air hose plug in one could do this too with a fmtv or 5 ton, you would be limited to a 1/2 drive impact. For any long period of time it would cost less to run an air compressor. I will likely add a port to my lmtv for quick air. at -20 sometimes one just dosent want teo fire up a compressor to quickly blow something off. With the advances in cordless tools now days I don't use air much any more unless I have to break out the 1 inch drive.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Front gladhands are air in only. I never tried to use rear emergency air for anything. Dash trailer valve would have to be pressed for rears to operate.

MGKMartin

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the rear emergency gladhand for spare air when I am on the road or far enough from my shop that I don't want to haul a hose. I have a 20-ton air jack in the toolbox for changing tires, tire inflator if CTIS goes out, air nozzle to blow stuff off, etc. Eventually I am going to add another tank and run a quick connect valve, but it's a low priority for me right now.

dmetalmiki

Front gladhands are air in only. I never tried to use rear emergency air for anything. Dash trailer valve would have to be pressed for rears to operate.
Negative. The air emits when the brakes are applied Via the Service Yellow line.
Constant air emits from the emergency (supply) Red line. (with the air cock turned on)

sargentwolf

I've got a pair of tool bags I keep in my truck. One is hand tools and the other is air tools and a hose with gladhand on one end chuck on the other.

Total bill from harbor freight was 85 bucks. Now the air tools can't break lugs loose, but it's a crap load faster once they are broken loose to spin with the impact drill.

coachgeo

.... Now the air tools can't break lugs loose, ....
hmmm and apparently a portable impact can't either. hmmm well this one might. Being 24v...... wonder if it would be cheaper to concoct a way to attach it to your 24v battery system considering batteries for this thing raise the price another couple hundred bucks

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

what do you have for an impact my ingrasol rand can usually do it with 1200 ft pounds reverse and so can my matco cordless if you are trying to use a 3/4 drive its likely you don't have enough air flow they need a large 1/2 inch air hose

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry a geared lug wrench to break things loose, and a slave port impact to spin them off quickly and easily.

Although I've got 13 PLS air tanks and I'm also tempted to increase the air reserve to run a 1" impact.

snowtrac nome

I have an aircat 1 inch impact I never herd of them they advertise they are a new us company their 1 inch impact is impressive with 1800 ftpounds of torque I almost never have to break out the torque multiplier any more

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Negative. The air emits when the brakes are applied Via the Service Yellow line.
Constant air emits from the emergency (supply) Red line. (with the air cock turned on)
If this were a 5 ton we were talking about, you'd be correct - but on a FMTV, there are no shutoffs on the front or rear gladhands and the trailer valve would have to be pressed to get any air out of the rear emergency gladhand.

snowtrac nome

If this were a 5 ton we were talking about, you'd be correct - but on a FMTV, there are no shutoffs on the front or rear gladhands and the trailer valve would have to be pressed to get any air out of the rear emergency gladhand.
that's what I thought but me being here in nome and my truck being in seattle I wasn't in a position to argue

armytruck63

I carry a 3/4" impact wrench, a crank-type torque multiplier and a set of impact sockets. The impact wrench can often break the lug nuts loose on its own. If not, then I use the torque multiplier to break the nut loose and then spin it off with the impact wrench.

You have to stop every lug nut or two and let the truck air compressor catch up. I haven't added any additional air tanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use very few air tools anymore, even at the shop. Cordless tech has advanced so much. MY M18 fuel half inch impact is capable of the job. Same tool is available with a 3/4" anvil. I've suffered through running air tools off a deuce before. Air pig and all the related hoses take up space I need. Any naysayers need to find someone with one of these impacts to change your mind. I always have mine with me!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks