• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air Transfer Case

willysmd

Morning all

My Duece has permanent 6 wheel drive ? how can I tell the difference between an air transfer case and a normal one that is not switchable.

Thanks

FreightTrain

Banned
Or look under the dash and if you have an air switch with redlight next to it you have a air shift.....that is unless it was replaced by a non air shift(that would be one of those WTF moments though....)

acetomatoco

All of em were originally made in the early years with the sprag. The air shift was made as a kit for upgrading old ones. You can convert your truck... easiest method is to r and r the xfer case with a air shift one and just put in the switch and air line. Your comment about permanent 6 wheel drive is a little off base, as the front wheels do not drive in a sprag unit until the rear wheels are slipping... When the sprags get lazy you can get windup resulting in a bang when the sprag finally clears itself.. Remember to always shift to first and reverse... Bogus startup in second year confuses the sprag. There is a two page sprag adjustment explanation in you 209 manuals.

willysmd

Cheers all, and ACE you have just answered why I sometimes get a bang from the rear, I thought it was the brakes just hanging on but now I know different.
Thats the last time I start in second gear.

Cheers all

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's a wound up sprag letting loose that loud bang actually comes from the binding front axle components and propeller shaft suddenly releasing all the accumulated torque! It often sounds and feels like you just broke a front axle shaft...!
That bang from the rear...? mmmh... could be something else...

willysmd

Well!! I say from the rear but I would in retrospect say it is the sprag letting go, I can honestly say I have done all the above to get to the point of "wind up" as you say it does feel like a front shaft going but as it is noisy in these things hard to tell, but I know now what not to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks