• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air wipers are not working

rustystud

Use the manual handle as needed. I am going to be putting an air/water separator / luber on my air system. The oil helps keep all those little motors, gizmos, and thinga-ma-jigs moving freely. The water removal benefits should be obvious. Have done this on every vehicle with an air system I have ever had. IF things have been sitting a while it is a great idea to clean and lube them first.
If you add a "luber" to the air system it must be compatible with the 'O'-rings and seals in the system especially the "brake booster" or you will have problems. No truck or bus that uses air brakes or air-assist brakes has ever had a "luber" on the air-system for this very reason. I agree with the water-separator ( I have a Bendix AD9 on mine) but I would never install a "oil luber" on it.

someoldmoose

Thank you again Mr. Rustystud. I should have been more specific. On vehicles with air motor driven items ( old American La Frances ) we added an air tool oiler / water separator AFTER the circuits for any brake items. At full air the wipers cycled about twice a second and could be regulated down to a full cycle (out and back) on low air that took 5 seconds with no jerks or stops. A parade judge said he thought they were electric because they were soooo smooth. The A 9 is a good idea too. They have never failed me. Thank you again.

Last edited:

rustystud

Thank you again Mr. Rustystud. I should have been more specific. On vehicles with air motor driven items ( old American La Frances ) we added an air tool oiler / water separator AFTER the circuits for any brake items. At full air the wipers cycled about twice a second and could be regulated down to a full cycle (out and back) on low air that took 5 seconds with no jerks or stops. A parade judge said he thought they were electric because they were soooo smooth. The A 9 is a good idea too. They have never failed me. Thank you again.
Remember though, your breathing in that oil mist from the wipers. I had a fellow mechanic who got lung damage due to the oil mist from draining the ping tanks on the buses. That is just from the air-compressor oil leaking into the air system. Of course that guy was a nut for breathing in that stuff in the first place. I mean come on, you can see the oil in the mist ! That should tell any sane person to hold your breath !

someoldmoose

Brother, I've been holding my breath for forty long years.rofl. Maybe that's why I'm like I am. Hear ya 5 by 5 about the oil in the exhaust but where I'm planning to go it doesn't rain all that much so I suspect I'll probably succumb to Tequila Sunrise before oil induced pulmonosis.

rustystud

Brother, I've been holding my breath for forty long years.rofl. Maybe that's why I'm like I am. Hear ya 5 by 5 about the oil in the exhaust but where I'm planning to go it doesn't rain all that much so I suspect I'll probably succumb to Tequila Sunrise before oil induced pulmonosis.
I suppose you can use the alcohol to clean off the oily windshields also !

BEASTMASTER

check the exhaust ports . those mud hornets like to plug those suckers up. found out mine was plugged up when there was torrential downpour at 45 mph. a little scary for sure.

Rennaissancebiker

I am having the same problem. My wipers are no working either... I replaced the motors and the hoses, I have found they or the one (drivers side) works only at low air pressure 15#s or less. So any ideas??? Thanks.

rustystud

I am having the same problem. My wipers are no working either... I replaced the motors and the hoses, I have found they or the one (drivers side) works only at low air pressure 15#s or less. So any ideas??? Thanks.
First off what year is your truck ? That tells us which model wiper motor you have. Second the seals in the early deuce wiper motors will dry out. You will have to take it apart and clean out all that dried-up old grease and reapply some nice clean lube. I prefer silicone grease here. My bad, I see you already replaced the wiper motors. Well the air wiper "switch" can get gummed up. It too will need to be taken apart and cleaned. I actually had "grit" in my air switch ! Now with my new "wet" tank and Bendix AD9 air-dryer I no longer have those problems. I see you also replaced the air lines. That's a good start. Rubber hoses have a life of only ten years, so most of our trucks need new hoses. Yes they still work usually, but they are disintegrating due to age and exposer to sun and oxygen. I personally would lean towards your wiper switch being gummed up.

Last edited:

Rennaissancebiker

I have found the solution fellas!!! That knob that turns your air wipers on... take and remove it loosening those 2 set screws...then you will be able to turn that knob without the knob just a bit or more more! things should start working the lil set screw in the center of that knob can also be adjusted and woohoo!!! doggone thing works like a charm!!! take and then place that knob back on and tighten those set screws. :)

Oh and Rusty thanks truck is an '83 M201A now converted to M818. ;)

Last edited:

rustystud

I have found the solution fellas!!! That knob that turns your air wipers on... take and remove it loosening those 2 set screws...then you will be able to turn that knob without the knob just a bit or more more! things should start working the lil set screw in the center of that knob can also be adjusted and woohoo!!! doggone thing works like a charm!!! take and then place that knob back on and tighten those set screws. :)

Oh and Rusty thanks truck is an '83 M201A now converted to M818. ;)
See, I knew it was that silly switch ! OK it wasn't gummed up, but that switch is the cause of a lot of wiper problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks