• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air wipers are stuck

drlogistics

Both air wipers on my 1952 xm211 are stuck. She sat outside in the elements for quite awhile before I got her and the shaft that the wiper arm connects to is rusted stuck in the mounting bracket. I have disconnected the mounting bracket from the wiper motor and everything turns pretty easily so I think the wipers would work if I could just free up the shaft. Anybody have any good advice?

The red arrow is pointing to the wiper arm shaft.
The blue arrow is pointing to the hole in the bracket that the shaft passes through.

Attachments

Last edited:

JGBallew

Start with a product called "Kroil". If it's too hard to find, "Parts Blaster" is a very close second, though it's harder on rubber and paint.

Heating the motor, and the affected area will help. You don't need insanely hot, just enough to let the metal expand a bit and the penetrant oil to get in there. I've used a butane soldering iron a lot for this kind of spot heating.

Along with the heat and penetrant, tapping the bushing area gently with a light mallet while working the lever will help loosen things up.

Gunfreak25

Give me a couple hours and I will post up my Wiper Motor Service thread here. They are really easy to troubleshoot. Quick fact: This model of wiper motor made by Trico Folberth was used as far back as 1920!

drlogistics

mission accompished

Thanks JGBallew. I disassembled the motor to the point where I could separate just the wiper arm shaft and the bracket that it was stuck in. Then a little bit of heat and some PB Blaster. Then a couple taps with a hammer and they freed up. And thanks Gunfreak. I'll be checking out your post about wiper motor service so I can be sure these things will work when I need them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks