• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airbag over leaf spring.

BigMontana

Has anyone taken off the bump stop on the M1078 or another leaf spring vehicle and thrown some light airbags in their place...I reckon they would lift the vehicle a few inches make everything softer amd, you could even have individual 3 position bag switches for off road operation create overpressure, neutral, and dump positions to allow you to pre lean into any sidling hills you have to traverse.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Has anyone taken off the bump stop on the M1078 or another leaf spring vehicle and thrown some light airbags in their place...I reckon they would lift the vehicle a few inches make everything softer amd, you could even have individual 3 position bag switches for off road operation create overpressure, neutral, and dump positions to allow you to pre lean into any sidling hills you have to traverse.
Did it on a M939 series. Using a kit from
Front kit kenworth or freightliner with a 14k front would probably work without much modification

BigMontana

Yeah that looks great! figure I'm just going to see how far the suspension comes up when I take off about 50% of the weight on each leaf spring then just measurements and leveling valves...I don't suspect the entire setup would cost me more than $1k with the help of a local welder...might have to change out shocks based on new suspension travel...or maybe I just re mount dual shocks fore and aft of the new airbags...get some cheapies that have the right measurements maybe even mount at an angle.

My bonus thought here is that my cargo bed is sitting on some flimsy I channel beams that are attached to the frame rails...I suspect this is because: if I took those beams off (and lowered the cargo deck) the wheels might travel high enough to hit the lowered bed...maybe I can work with my new taller suspension to not have to cut up the cargo bed when I lower it (to give the wheels room to come all the way up).

As an ex backwoods mountain heavy haul truck driver I see a lot of possibility to find civilian parts and retrofit them...I'm never really going for super duper best you can put on, just making some easy common sense improvements as money comes available, or as other things break ... Whichever comes first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks