• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airbags?

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have to ask mom if you can own/drive a deuce, then I would suggest to you that you need to wait until you can make a decision, and not have to ask/convince mother.:mrgreen:

plym49

Questions like the one posted by the OP often bug me, as they are examples of illogical questions. It seems as though the person asking the question just knows two words, 'air bags', and defines 'safety' as the whether or not they are present.

Illogic. Illogic. Illogic.

If the intent of the original question was, do Deuces have air bags, the answer is 'no'.

If the intent of the question question was, are Deuces safe, that is a completely different issue.

To answer, what do you mean by safe? A good likelihood that the driver and passengers would be unharmed in a fender bender? If so, then they are safe - as someone already pointed out, you have 13,000 pounds on your side.

Or, does 'safe' mean that the driver and passengers are not likely to be seriously injured in almost any accident you could typically expect, with the vehicle being operated within its design parameters? If that's it, then they are pretty safe.

Or, do you mean that the driver and passengers and bystanders and innocent victims and property will be messed up pretty bad as a result of doing whatever crazy and irresponsible thing you can imagine? If this is what your mom means, then they are not safe.

Hope this helps.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think the roll over wasn't exactly the truck's fault.

I was distracted by telling my passenger, "if you decide not to ride on a particular obstacle, just let me know so you can get out."

Next thing I know he said "I think its too late".

Go figure

Csm Davis

Okay hang on guys uncle put a lot of 16 and up kids in a deuce with a fairly good outcome I would say it has a proven safety record with kids his age. If someone will take a little time to show him the right and wrong ways of operating a deuce we might be making another great Steel Solider. Heck at 16 I had a miliary license to drive a forklift, m151, Cucv, m35, and m915! :cookoo:

barefootin

At sixteen my kids may need to convince as to what their choice of vehicles may be also. There are some I've already said NO to as potential options. My 100% girly girl daughter ironically wants to fix up my '90 K3500. My son would like an old Saab, MG Midget, or early Land Rover. The Midget is out of the question until he is older. I appreciate the original posters question as a young man in this new "technical" age asking such a question. At least he isn't looking at a rice burner with a fart can on the back...... We should encourage his curiosity and support his desire to learn.... After all, he is part of the future and someone must carry the torch when we are dust and our steel soldiers are hopefully not approaching rust....

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does it say the OP is 16? He could be a 45 year old mamas boy for all we know?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really depends on how responsible the 16 year old is. I was driving dump trucks at 14 (I know, illegally but I survived). On the other hand, I know 30 year old people that have no business behind the wheel of a golf cart.

barefootin

He must like working on cars. All three of those are known for their legendary reliability, right?
Actually they aren't bad if you understand their quirks and what seems to be planned obsolecence of certain parts and keep ahead of the curve. In my younger years I had MG's as daily drivers and never had one towed (normally they can be fixed with duct tape, WD40, wire coat hanger or a hammer:)). Our Landy or Saabs in the drive have served us well also. My DD stage 5 Saab has handled 26psi of boost and regular thrashings for years. I've had Fords and Dodges that cost more to maintain and were towed home numerous times....

jeeplvr247

Land rovers especially have a terrible reputation for reliability. If you watch the british top gear they always make fun of them. Sounds like you have had some good luck though, you should have played the mega-millions a few weeks back.

quickfarms

The duece is a truck that was designed 60 years ago in an era when people were expected to have something between the ears.

Most of the duece's safety features are located between the drivers ears.

barefootin

Land rovers especially have a terrible reputation for reliability. If you watch the british top gear they always make fun of them.
Yep, but did you see the episode where the most un-reliable truck (Land Rover) was the most reliable beating out an FJ and Suzuki in their quest :?. It's all about PM and staying ahead of the curve.

emr

:shock:This has to be one of those gotha threads for sure, :shock: air bags roflrofl

I hear the military is going to put air bags in all future trucks so when they are shot at and try to get away the air bag will deploy and get em all killed, yeesh...

Last edited:

emr

Land rovers especially have a terrible reputation for reliability. If you watch the british top gear they always make fun of them. Sounds like you have had some good luck though, you should have played the mega-millions a few weeks back.
The only good land rover was the very first ones where they were on Willys frames and powered also by willys, the rest are over rated girl trucks at best. all true. Better than an fj and suzuki is not much. even if it were true.

Last edited:

oztankboy

The only good land rover was the very first ones where they were on Willys frames and powered also by willys, the rest are over rated girl trucks at best. all true. Better than an fj and suzuki is not much. even if it were true.
I could be wrong but didn't some of the US special forces use Land Rover defenders not all that long a go?:razz:

Phil...

barefootin

I could be wrong but didn't some of the US special forces use Land Rover defenders not all that long a go?:razz:

Phil...
So did the Rangers in Haiti some years back....:grin: Sounds like emr has given his opinion on their status as well... ;-)

It's my wifes toy so I'll let him get away with the comment :lol:. But next time he's passed by a little blonde climbing some rock steps on opposing wheels in a black D1, he better smile cause she's a better shot than I am....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks