• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airbags?

oztankboy

Must addmit I do have a soft spot for the old LandRover (some may say between the ears) I used them in the army and privately too. Just did not like those series 3 with the 6cyl petrol motor boat anchor.
One interesting thing in trails in the late 1950's LandRover won out over the M38A1 jeep. OhBTW I am jeep fan also... I own the very first CJ10 sold in the world brought from new.

Phil...

Cletus09

I do not recommend a duce as a first vehicle... I don't have one (sob) but I am 16... If you have your heart set on an MV then I recommend going for a CUCV as mentioned above... I recently bought an m1009 as my first vehicle... they don't have airbags either, but they are alot closer to a "normal vehicle" than a duce.... and they still turn heads as you drive by. Plus it is about as fuel efficient as you can get for a truck of its age. I work two jobs, and I am still barely breaking even with the CUCV in my budget. (I pay for my own insurance, fuel, maintenance etc.)

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where does it say the OP is 16? He could be a 45 year old mamas boy for all we know?
I called up my mother and talked to her when I was looking to get my truck. Of course, she knows of my eccentricities so she encouraged me, but also cautioned me with many good points of things I should look up, read, understand, and call and ask first. Not just the technical aspects, but also state laws and local ordinances. She didn't want me getting in over my head and regretting it or worse, getting into trouble.

I'm a mamma's boy. :mrgreen:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called up my mother and talked to her when I was looking to get my truck. Of course, she knows of my eccentricities so she encouraged me, but also cautioned me with many good points of things I should look up, read, understand, and call and ask first. Not just the technical aspects, but also state laws and local ordinances. She didn't want me getting in over my head and regretting it or worse, getting into trouble.

I'm a mamma's boy. :mrgreen:
Good advice from Mom. They're always right. Give her a big Thank You this Sunday.

rickf

Okay hang on guys uncle put a lot of 16 and up kids in a deuce with a fairly good outcome I would say it has a proven safety record with kids his age. If someone will take a little time to show him the right and wrong ways of operating a deuce we might be making another great Steel Solider. Heck at 16 I had a miliary license to drive a forklift, m151, Cucv, m35, and m915! :cookoo:
And how did you get into the military at 16 let alone get a drivers license for all of those vehicles while still 16? I call BS on this one!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And how did you get into the military at 16 let alone get a drivers license for all of those vehicles while still 16? I call BS on this one!
He never said he joined the military at 16. But do you honestly think that since the deuce was designed and put into service all those years ago that nobody underage lied their way into the armed forces and drove one?

rickf

Speddmon, You might want to reread the post I quoted. I was not talking about the OP. This guy says he had a military license to drive all this stuff while still 16. I stand by what I said. CUCV's did not come in service until 84 and by then it would be **** tough to lie you way in at 16 let alone get qualified on half the vehicles in the Army in such a short time.

Rick

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say just get one. Mom will get over it. :twisted: If the OP is under 18 he won't have to deal with Mom for much longer. When he turns 17 he can probably just go stay with his Uncle for awhile. :)

hunderliggur

My son is learning to drive on my M1009. I wonder how much right side mirrors cost :beer: But it is a good truck to learn to drive on - it teaches respect and a feel for the road.

barefootin

My son is learning to drive on my M1009. I wonder how much right side mirrors cost :beer: But it is a good truck to learn to drive on - it teaches respect and a feel for the road.
Mirrors are pretty cheap... It's the mail boxes that get expensive.:)

My kids are following my path. Principles of steering the truck/tractor while on my lap at around 10 or 11 and progressing to piloting the tractor. Then to driving in the fields. By 16 they will be ready for the roads.. The only difference is that I was driving three on the tree by age 13 with wooden blocks on the pedals.

hunderliggur

My kids start on a Bobcat Toolcat 5600 at age <<16! My daughter drove one 12 miles between farms for me (I was following in a truck with a trailer) when she was 15. My son did notice last summer when he first drove my pickup that it moves when you put it in gear, even without stepping on the gas. The Bobcat does not do that with its hydraulic drive system. You generally don't even need the brakes, just when you are on the edge of a pit or something ;-) Bobcat - no fuel - no move; fuel - move; simple.

Cletus09

I do regular field work on a tractor. I have been for the last two growing seasons... and for the bobcat... I've been operating a John Deere equivalent since before I was able to reach the pedals properly... I regularly run one now to mix feed and do a number of various tasks...

Sorry for my arrogance... This is about all I have to brag on :p

Csm Davis

First off I worked as a civilian on base starting at 14 but by the the time I was 16 I had my civilian drivers license and all those. Also not sure if they still do it but your parents could sign for you to go in at 16 back then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks