• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aircraft Insulation in the Deuce?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I to am interested in a set.

I just got the winterization kit (20K BTU heater) from rcflyer70, was looking at the TM for the installation, and saw pics of the cab insulation kit and was in the process of looking for one.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i had a kit, sold it years ago, have never seen another. it was the basis for my templates. i will try to get some heavy paper tomorrow.

tom

tm america

ya some contact paper- poster board would work for the templates then they could be folded or rolled and shipped in a tube i might be interested in a set to

Last edited:

tm america

i was thinkin that it has a removable top and the army designed these trucks to be used with or without the top and they even washed the trucks out with fire hoses after training exercises. so they surely wouldnt make it where it would hold water .they water proofed the gages and put canvas on the seats .i would think the water would be coming from above .i agree they look like they were built with an air gap designed in i can see them making them to keep the heat off of the drivers legs. but i wouldnt think they cared much about sound judging by how loud a non mufflered multifuel is:roll:i'm sure it makes it alot nicer that without but i need you to bring the truck to haspin this year to do a demo on how quite it is inside:-D

jesusgatos

What type of material are you guys using as insulation? The aircraft insulation sounds interesting, and I saw that one guy is planning on using surplus sleeping pads. I'd be looking for something that's going to be a good thermal barrier, but sound-deadening is also something that I imagine might be equally important to a lot of us. The other thing is, I don't want to give up the ability to hose-out my cab. I'm going to put a lot of work into making Mah Deuce more comfortable to drive, but I don't want to make it much less rugged. That means no carpet, and no water-sensitive insulation.

I've been really pleased with a paint-on sound deadening product called Second Skin that I've used in the cabs of several of my trucks, and I painted the floor of my M109 box with it before I put down a layer of 3/4" plywood (had some left over and figured it couldn't hurt). It's pretty durable and does reduce the noise inside a truck cab considerably, but it isn't going to do much of anything to regulate temperature.

tm america

i would use some rubber work out mats they have nipples or ribs that keep them off the floor and would create a gap for air to dry things out and they would do more for sound deadining than weather proofing.but it would still be a big improvement over one layer of metal

runk

freezer paper for templates

I use "freezer paper", like butcher paper with a plastic coating on one side, for making insulation templates for the old British cars I work (play?) with. Readily available at the super market up to ~2' wide, seen 3' & 4' at restaurant supply places. Easy to mark and crease for cut lines on the paper side, plastic side helps it hold up, both sides take tape.

jime

Kraft Paper

Tom,
I've got rolls of 4' kraft paper. Tell me how long of a piece you need to supply the patterns you have requests for & I'll send you some. Jim

Snarky

This all seems very interesting. My hardtop has some weird aged foam on the inside. I think im going to pull the trigger and order some of the insulation from spruce.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my set of templates the other day.
Great job Tom. Thanx again for taking the time to share the info with the rest of us.
Good idea leaving them as a single sheet, not cut out. Better for shipping and less work for you.

Thanx again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks