• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Airforce Truck

FreightShaker

Hello All,
Haven't been here in a long time, but I recently purchased a 1974 Chevy C10 half ton short bed. The PO told me that it used to be an air force truck at a local air base and I was wondering if there was anyway to track this information down? I would like to repaint it at some point and if I can find what air wing it was with maybe add it somehow into the paint scheme. It has government plates on the dash and B pillar door jamb as well as on the glove box door. I can provide pictures of these plates if needed for someone who might be able to help me. And if this is in the wrong place, please move it.

FreightShaker

Attachments

FreightShaker

Thats pretty cool. I had no idea AF used GM trucks those years
Yeah started trying to do some research and come to find out it’s and army air field that the truck was supposedly at. But the airfield was given to the city before this truck was ever made. Not sure what to think now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military bought civilian vehicles and used them for decades before the CUCV contracts were started. Even in Vietnam in the 60's there were Dodge sedans and light pickups being used by the Navy and Air Force, and to some smaller extent by the Army. That ad-hoc system was replaced with the CUCV concept to standardize the 24 V system from the tactical vehicles.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah started trying to do some research and come to find out it’s and army air field that the truck was supposedly at. But the airfield was given to the city before this truck was ever made. Not sure what to think now.
The registration number on the data plate is an Air Force registration number.
Its going to be really difficult to find out where is was assigned unless there is any ID beneath the paint. According to the USAF TM (36-1-3) for marking and painting, some units were authorized to mark the vehicles with the base and squadron info.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Military bought civilian vehicles and used them for decades before the CUCV contracts were started. Even in Vietnam in the 60's there were Dodge sedans and light pickups being used by the Navy and Air Force, and to some smaller extent by the Army. That ad-hoc system was replaced with the CUCV concept to standardize the 24 V system from the tactical vehicles.
Yep, I've got an Blazer with military ID STICKER (not riveted plate) and red original paint and valor interior and full power including AC. IIRC it came off of Griffiss air base here in NY, it certainly wasn't used much as the body is not the typical NY rotbox

FreightShaker

Can't fault you on power train choice,was just thinking of simplicity and cost and mpg.
Your choice would definitely be easier. Probably a lot cheaper too. 6BT are not cheap. Unless you can find an old school bus or truck someone is getting ready to take to the crusher. Then there's still the expense of your time to pull it out, make sure it's not going to come apart the first time you start it up, fabbing everything up to install it and then finally installing it. I think I'm liking you idea better.:mrgreen: