• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

airpack rebuild, deep pits in the air can

disco

I tore down my airpack today to rebuild it. The air can, for lack of a better term, was full of water, brake fluid and rust. I got a honing tool to clean it up but the pits are pretty deep. Does anybody have a trick to refinish the inside of the can? I'm afraid if I hone the can long enough to remove the deep pits, I'll be able to read the newspaper through it.

Does this thing need to be smooth as glass or just smooth enough not to tear the rubber seal or what?

Do you apply an epoxy or metal filler and hone it smooth?

Attachments

disco

Well, dang. I was afraid of that. I have a new MC on the bench, hopefully by next Friday I'll have a new airpack sitting next to it and by Saturday I'll have brakes.

Thanks for the input.

bigkaiser

Forgive my ignorance, but that air can looks nothing like the two that I just rebuilt. Does that make it an older or newer style? It doesn't match what is in any of my TMs either?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the newer shorter style although I don't know how much newer. I kinda like the old ones as kits are more prevalent for them.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
When I rebuild mine, what is the best way to clean them? I have a glass bead cabinet, is that going to leave too rough a texture on the surface for it to seal? I currently have aluminum oxide running through the cabinet.

Thanks

disco

I don't how how it's supposed to be done but I rented a 4" cylinder hone from Autozone and bought some rough stones for it. I was going to get the pits out with the coarse stone and then polish it smooth with the fine stones it came with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks