• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AJP shipping rate seems high

So I'm looking for a paint source, I've decided to go with the Gillespie 24087 for my 1966 M35A2. AJP has paint for $30.00 per gallon, but charges almost $40.00 per gallon to ship it. $280 for 4 gallons of paint/primer seems outrageous. These prices are right off their website www.armyjeepparts.com. Could someone who has ordered paint from them chime in and tell me if this is correct? Thanks.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's HAZMAT according to UPS (read big $$$ to ship)

If you ever see him at MV shows, he has litterally pallets of it that he sells out everytime, as there is no shipping cost/HAZMAT cost if you pick it up at a show, or at his shop. If you want paint, he's more than happy to bring it to a show for you.

This is off his website.

Shipping:
NOTE ! Gallon can shipments are considered a hazardous material and because of that UPS imposes additional handling fees and requires us to use a
specially designed box, in addition to ground service shipping charges.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]UPS Charges;
$ 21.00 Hazardous Material Fee
$ 4.50 to $ 7.00 Box Fee ( 1 & 2 Gallon, 4 Gallon respectively)
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Add UPS shipping rate to all that...
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AJP NOW HAS 4 GALLON BOXES.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AJP now has the ability to ship 1, 2, or 4 gallons of paint in a single box. We have run the numbers for shipments to both zone 8 (West coast) and zone 2 (East coast) which represent the maximum and minimum you could expect depending on where you live. If you live inbetween your costs will fall somewhere in between as well. Here are the numbers:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ZONE 2.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Gallon shipment = $ 68.25 per gallon
2 Gallon shipment = $ 50.38 per gallon
4 Gallon shipment = $ 39.44 per gallon
Case of Spray Paint =
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$ 12.00 (Shipping Only)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ZONE 8.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 Gallon shipment = $ 72.00 per gallon
2 Gallon shipment = $ 54.88 per gallon
4 Gallon shipment = $ 44.25 per gallon
Case of Spray Paint =
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$ 17.50 (Shipping Only)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Significant shipping cost savings can be realized with purchases of 10 or more gallons because we can ship by road freight to a commercial address. Do you have a friend ready to paint? How about the other members at your next MVPA meeting?
[/FONT]​

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be a different rate for case (4 gallons). Try Rapco, they are the biggest supplier of Gillespie.

Bill W

I recently bought 4 gal case from Rapco it came to about $150.00 total including shipping. After reading the AJP charges and "IF" I understand their rates then the 4 gal case charge come out to $39.44 per "delivered" gal ( $157.76 total for 4 gals delivered ) but I would confirm that with them first

Rapco http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html

Last edited:

Katahdin

The AJP prices are out of date, that page hasn't been updated since Feb 1999 because they don't have a webmaster who can edit the static pages, they only update the shopping cart system.

I learned it the hard way today. My wife was in town and picked up 6 gallons and 2 spray cans of 24087. Thinking I was getting it for $190 they charged her $230. Doh!

AJP explained the web problem when I emailed them. Call 'em if you want the current prices.

pvtjorge

I got all my paint from Rapco. Last year I ordered some more spray cans of red oxide. You all know the color of red oxide right? Well these cans were not red oxide, but sort of a dark lavender. I sent it back to him. Gave it enough time to get there then gave him a call to see what he thought. His comment was "looks good to me" "just like all the other red oxide I sell".

B.S. It may have been good paint. But don't tell me after I've already used 3 gallons and numerous spray cans from you that I don't know what the normal color of red oxide is.
Seems the only smart guys are the vendors. Ha!
From now on if I need a spray can of red oxide I just go down to the auto store and pick up a can.

Last edited:

kurt802

I ordered 4 gallons of Gillespie "383" from AJP $180 delivered to VT
$45 per gallon is not bad considering the cost of paint these days and I buy a lot of paint:-D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got all my paint from Rapco. Last year I ordered some more spray cans of red oxide. You all know the color of red oxide right? Well these cans were not red oxide, but sort of a dark lavender. I sent it back to him. Gave it enough time to get there then gave him a call to see what he thought. His comment was "looks good to me" "just like all the other red oxide I sell".

B.S. It may have been good paint. But don't tell me after I've already used 3 gallons and numerous spray cans from you that I don't know what the normal color of red oxide is.
From now on if I need a spray can of red oxide I just go down to the auto store and pick up a can.
Did he give you any grief over the color?

I am so sick of companies that are oooooooh so happy to take your money and as soon as there is an issue, it's FU the rest of the way.

jfnemt1ff1

It seems like they would play nice. Its not like its a big seller over auto paint. And with internet and groups the word moves fast. When I did my M561 and M725 I used AJP and they were very helpful IMO.
John

67Beast

Gillespie red oxide primer is usually a much darker red/maroon color than standard auto red oxide. I've painted 3 trucks with Gillespie primer over the last 6 years and it has always been the darker color.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks