• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Al, this is for you (cargo cover install)

Pinkie

Here are the cargo bows and uprights going together. As you can see the uprights fit down inside the existing sides. The bows and corners are all one piece. The bows bolt to the uprights with one bolt. I have installed a couple of them but have run into problems with a few of my existing uprights, they are bent, but I am working on them. The ones that I have installed are very TIGHT, this means NO rattling, I am so happy I don't know what to do with myself. Here are some pictures for your viewing presure. Please feel free to comment.

http://nngeek.com/m35a2/cargo cover install/

Crazy guy in Pink,

J.R.

Pinkie

I got them from a rivate person, one shot deal. Sorry, I have never seen any bows and uprights like these before, very well engineered.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My, What tall bows you have! :eek: They look a bit tall installed, what do they measure at the highest point from the floor to under the bow(in the middle)?

m38inmaine

I agree, they look like they are 12" or so too tall, I am willing to bet the cover will be short. Perhaps they are not fully seated or need to be shortened.

Pinkie

They are fully seated, I am 6'1" and I can standup in the middle on the bows only, I hope that gives you a good measurment. The deminsions of the cover are 12 by 14 feet. It this is a "high rise version" I would be most happy with that.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the same set on mine. I cut the legs 13inches to get the cover to fit right. I like the metal bows much better but. There isn't anyway to stow them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, if you have a canvas cover, the front and rear ends have the cinch ropes and the sides have short tag ropes that are spaced correctly(in the grommets) for the tie hooks(on the box sides). The canvas hangs over the side of the box about six inches normally. You should be able to gain most of that with your bows set if you want but any higher and your cover will not reach the top of your box sides. I can get you a height measurement from mine if you want it. But you may just want to put your cover on and see how much side overhang you have or don't have.

Pinkie

doghead, you are right! Don't know why I didn't think of that. I guess I could always fold 2 feet of it back underneth and use it that way. Is it normal to be able to standup in the middle of the bed with the bows installed? I am 6'1".

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hey Jdobyns,

IF EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL, YOU HAVE
OBVIOUSLY OVERLOOKED SOMETHING.

HAHAHAHA! J/K!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my truck(M35A2), the measurement from floor to bottom side of bow in the middle is 5 feet(60 inches). The canvas(top) hangs over the outside of the box 4.5 inches. The front and rear ends(of the top cover) wrap around the front and rear by one foot and cinch to look like the end of a covered wagon. The bottoms of the end panels hang down the same amount as the top cover(on the sides) of the truck(4.5 inches) These measurements are from my truck that has a NOS Canvas cover(3 pieces,1 top and 2 end curtains), NOS fiberglass uprights, NOS wooden bows and non-dropside bow-corners.

Pinkie

OK guys, here it is, I have installed the cover, do any of you know how hard/heavy this thing is my yourself? I have decided not to cut the uprights because I like the hieght. Someone talk me there are side peice 18-24 inches wide that I can use to achive the correct hang down on the sides.

Attachments

Jones

I got a set of those bows a while back. They're marked as being applicable to the HEMTTs if that helps. Look at a HEMTT with cargo area top installed. They're really tall.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was poking around at a friends place, there were 2 of the metal bows, but no uprights. How tall is the truck from the ground to the top of the bows?

houdel

I have one of the 1 piece vinyl covers with the fiberglass uprights, standard corners and wood bows. I have about 60" of clearance in the center of the bow, my cover just overlaps the square tube section of the top of the bed by an inch or two. The high tops are nice, but where are you going you going to park it? The standard cover will fit in a garage with 12' sidewalls and a 10' door, a high top like yours will require a garage with at least 14' sidewalls and 12' door. I don't even know if it will fit in a standard maintenance tent. All the "M" series trucks seem to max out at 9'-6" to 9'-8", presumably for transportability reasons. I like the higher top, but if you you plan on storing inside some sort of shelter it is going to have to be some sort of custom built.

Pinkie

We are talking about building a shop for our tree equipment, I think it will fit in that. Thanks for all the good information! No drive through at McDonald's huh?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks