• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska Deuce

Pawnshop

Did anyone here get the cold weather Deuce in Alaska from GL today? It has a some very interesting mods for the cold. If I was in Alaska I would have been a bidder on it, just too cool and unusual to pass up!

Attachments

moosebgy

I slept too late and missed the end of it. I was looking at it and the wrecker, don't know what they finally went for but on Wednesday the deuce was only up to around $600 and the wrecker around $900. Next time I'll set my alarm.

dm22630

That truck was over $1600 an hour before auction ending.

It took a LOT for me not to buy it & drive it the measly 4,500 miles back home (singled out w/NO spare!) ;)

monkeythumbs

Actually I was the first bidder,I only bid $150 because I wanted to be able to seen what it ended up at. Of course after I bid , I prayed that someone would outbid me. I couldn't really comprehend driving it back to Ohio . No Passport, Insurance Issues, Tags, and could it/me make it.

crazyplowboy

Actually I was the first bidder,I only bid $150 because I wanted to be able to seen what it ended up at. Of course after I bid , I prayed that someone would outbid me. I couldn't really comprehend driving it back to Ohio . No Passport, Insurance Issues, Tags, and could it/me make it.
I woulda went with you man, that would be a heck of an adventure.

kurtkds

Monkeythumbs, if you would have won that, I would have helped get it to Ohio so my wife could visit family in Troy (she was born there).

Pawnshop

I wondered if barging it from Alaska to Washington state would be cheaper and easier than driving/hauling it through Canada. Would crossing the Canadian border violate the Non Export Agreement?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it was in pretty good shape. It used to be that you would see a lot of those trucks around, set up like that. Unfortunately, they used most of them here, for target practice. I,m pretty well fixed for trucks, but could not help watching both trucks. The M543A2 went for right on $3577. It still would have been an adventure for me too. I'm 350 miles away. Few come up for sale here any more. For some reason, I don't believe that the winch was in-operable either. I believe the truck was used on the flight line.

Lee in Alaska

Heavy Hooker

AK M35A2 and M543A2

This m35A2 was a nice truck. I drove it to the DRMO after we turned it in. The PC kit on the back was just one year old, We(the NG) put it on in our shop. the single tire conversion was a flop and this was one of the last trucks to be turned back to duals but we haddent got to it before its turn-in. This truck went for $1650, a steal! I bid $1600:cry: but I did get the M543A2. really a super truck! This truck haddent been in any GI's hands since the mid 70's as Ft. Richardson's post engineers used it. It was a really weird auction as just two of us bid on it. It went for $3477. It is highway ready and will be driven 50 miles north. The arctic heaters in these trucks will drive you out of them at 20 below zero.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a guy in Victoria,TX that drove a CCKW up the ALCAN highway and back. I'm sure if a 60 year old truck can make it a deuce could. Of course I'd vote for the barge to Seattle. Whether IT could make it or not, I'm not sure I could.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go ahead and laugh but I'da liked to have that arctic deuce at the FL rally. My kids and I camped in the back of our deuce and when it dropped into the 20's, the steel floor and vinyl top wasn't too warm. I shoulda been better prepared and now I am!

Last edited:
Wow, nice buy on the Trucks. Hello up North and welcome to SS HH.

I went up the Alcan Hwy 2X with the family on vacation. Once in 1960 and again in 1962 of course I was a wee shaver back then.

We spent both summers up there and just loved it. I am sure winter is a bit different but we did the trip both times in this 1959 NAPCO 4X4. The transfer case and axles were manufactured by Studebaker for GM. Same outfit was making them for the military.

Some day I hope to get back, this would have been a great excuse.

By the way, the picture of my Dads truck was taken only 2 years ago on my property. He built the camper by himself in 1959.
Full kitchen with sink, stove, & refrigerator.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks