• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaskan Camper M101a2 Trailer Project Build

wilfreeman

Great! Now I have another project when I finish the 'A1. I was just thinking about buying bows and a tarp and putting an air mattress in it, but now I'm starting to get other ideas.

2INSANE

Awesome, I love it. Jim
Thanks!

dont forget to add some eye bolts here and there near the roof line, nice for tarps, clothes lines ect.
Great idea!!! I think a base station ham radio and Solargizer panels is a great idea. I've been busy with work and my blazer, plus it's winter so I put the project on hold for now. Will post more updates in about 2 months:)

2INSANE

Features:
3 Burner Stove
2 1/2 Gal Propane Tank
30 Gal Water tank
Port-A-Potty
Sink with fresh water faucet and Manual Pump Faucet
Clearance lights
Radiant Heater (Propane)
Table that converts into a bed. Sleeps 2 Adults comfortably
3 Way fridge 12v, 120v, Propane
Hydraulic Jack to lift top
Sliding glass side windows
Ac/Dc lighting
Fresh Water hookup
120 hook up
7 pin electrical cord
Battery hook up
3 Hand crank jacks for easy removal and install to your application.
Rubber Bedrail Seals
4 Bed mounts
4 Adjustable chain bolts

This is one tuff camper! The outside is in good shape and old interior wood is in good shape.*

Flooring in good shape, padding too!

Only problem is the last owner lowered the camper with the stainless burner cover up and caused the shelf to crack.

This camper was designed in 1970 to handle the most extreme weather and off road Comfortably!

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Alaskan will serve you well!!

You can bolt the camper directly to the floor of the trailer. There may already be holes inside the storage compartments under the seats and near the rear of the camper. It's a good idea to put some strips of treated wood between the floor of the camper and the steel of the trailer, otherwise moisture will accumulate and rot your floor.

We have found that condensation has been tough on the wood in our old camper out here in the east. On the other hand, you probably don't know what condensation is in UT!!

I added two runs of Unistrut down the center of the camper roof, about a foot apart, "U" up. Seal the bolt holes well. This gives a good base for mounting anything (antennas, solar panels) and also keeps the roof from sagging (as can happen in these old wooden campers).

FYI, here's our 1971 (10 ft NCO).

Bob
WB4ETT

Attachments

Last edited:

huskyrunnr

2INSANE, I started kicking around putting my old '67 8'NCO on a trailer about a month ago and of all the examples out there, I liked the looks of yours the best. I ended up with mine sitting on an m101a1 and I am thrilled with it. It is so much easier to load the camper on the trailer than on the truck. Dealing with the Budd wheels in my case is a little daunting, but an axle swap is not in the cards anytime soon.

I have a question for you. It looks like you're running Enkay Rock Tamers? So far, have you found them to be good enough to protect that huge front window? I haven't had mine out yet on any significant trip, I wanted to take care of the flying rocks problem first. About to pull the trigger on the flaps pending your advice.

Thanks again for your inspiration.

2INSANE

2INSANE, I started kicking around putting my old '67 8'NCO on a trailer about a month ago and of all the examples out there, I liked the looks of yours the best. I ended up with mine sitting on an m101a1 and I am thrilled with it. It is so much easier to load the camper on the trailer than on the truck. Dealing with the Budd wheels in my case is a little daunting, but an axle swap is not in the cards anytime soon.

I have a question for you. It looks like you're running Enkay Rock Tamers? So far, have you found them to be good enough to protect that huge front window? I haven't had mine out yet on any significant trip, I wanted to take care of the flying rocks problem first. About to pull the trigger on the flaps pending your advice.

Thanks again for your inspiration.
Yes the Blazer has the basic Rock Tamers. I regret not buying the Rock Tamers with the metal weights on the bottom. At faster speeds, the non weight Tamers flap around more. They are made of good construction and tough. I love the adjustability they have. So far they are doing quite well on the trails and slower speeds. Recently I bought the naked lady weights for mud flaps. Have not installed them yet.

I did mudflaps on my truck also. The basic black hard plastic flaps you you use on a semi truck. They work very very good too. Just a tad cheaper then the Rock Tamers. Considering the cost for the flaps, nuts/bolts/washers and reflective aluminum plates.

Here's few pics...

ED615910-B4AA-4462-9B20-192438943839-79-000000083BA678F2_zpsff8b7238.jpgCB678666-4A15-439A-834D-7CFC3B441F4D-79-0000000A04EB1B43_zps545cf9e6.jpgF23A54AC-ADDB-49F0-912D-8DF14276A291-79-00000008132B4F17_zps44deaa9a.jpg9A69E669-8C35-42AD-8B41-DAF2486FF981-79-0000001045DD75DB_zps28f1033d.jpg6B4CCA6D-C701-44C6-860E-28B6DFEA0A7C-79-0000001041B70407_zps226c5eab.jpg

svanhorn

You were right in my neck of the woods. When you came off the 12, and onto the 24, you were only 20 minutes, or so from me.
I might do the same thing with one of those campers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks