• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaskan MV owners? DMV Registration questions

flyusn99

Hello Everyone,
I'm a SS newbie. Like a lot of people I won an auction (Oct 8th) for one of the M35A2's now held up by the DRMS hold. Mine's in Frankfort (along with exactly 80 other ones as of last Saturday when I drove through).
I'm on Active duty in the US Navy recently PCS'ed to Jacksonville FL, (also recently returned from Afghanistan where the MV heavy metal bug bit). I'm an Alaskan, (born and raised, and plan on returning home as soon as I get out of the Navy) and will be registering my Deuce in Alaska. This brings me to my point, after extensive research on the Alaska DMV website and actually looking up Alaskan laws on vehicle registration I'm trying to find out how MV enthusiasts in Alaska have registered their MVs and not paid commercial rates.
It seems everything indicates no matter what the use, if it is over 10,000 pounds it gets charged the commercial rates. At 13,500lb the M35A2 would be $516 for 2 years this is a bit much considering a normal 2 year registration costs $100. This large fee apparently also applies to historic plates.
I plan on driving the Deuce frequently so the one time $10 plates seem to be out of the question.... Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with the Alaskan DMV who could offer insights, or do I just need to suck it up and pony up the cash....
Thank you in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.....

Wish I could help you with your question but? My deuce came from Alaska in 2001 to Montana from the DMRO at Elemendorf. The truck was from Fort Richardson. The plates in Montana cost $45.00 a year when I claim 16000 GVW. Which is the minimum I can claim on the truck. Stationed at Fort Rich with 19th Avn Bn (Dehavilland "Otters") and U21-A "Utes" from 1967-1969

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10.000#.... Whats the problem? Many years ago, with an M211, I got it below the 10g's. Stripped it. DMV doesn't watch you weigh it. Cab & chassis. Not much in the way of checks here either. I'm a rancher, so I do it with a farm tag. Otherwise, don't try to cross the bridge till you come to it. Some how, you'll manage!

BTW, Thanks for the service!

Lee in Alaska

flyusn99

Thank you for the replys

Elk Hunter, copy all, sounds like you have a great truck. Thanks for the reply.

Rosco, I had momentarily thought of just putting something under 10k on the registration but the problem with that is (aside from the ethical considerations) since I'm stationed down south here if they pull me onto a scale on the highway (since I can't really go anywhere without traveling on the interstate) and find I'm over-weight there is a several thousand dollar fine (so I'm told) that goes along with that each time it happens. That potentially could get real expensive real quick like.... It looks as though I'm just going to have to accept the $516 as the price for having heavy metal (assuming the hold thing gets sorted out and all)... Thanks again though.

grizcty

Not sure "yet"

I just got my SF 97 Title, a week ago.

Yet, it is dated 5/18/2009
And a purchase price of 1/3 of what I actually paid for it?????????

And it shows a GVWR of 43910 on it.
The lady at the DMV, said I had to have the following.
Before, I can get my plates.

DOT inspection sticker. (just got it)
Proof of insurance. (problem- because I did not want to insure it until spring)
Copy of my drivers physical, & CDL. (no problem)

And that I HAVE TO title it, as commercial !:-x

flyusn99

Grizcty,

Wow, that sounds very strange.... GVWR 43910 for a Deuce and a half seems WAY too heavy. With a list weight like that the CDL requirement would make sense, since it would be over the 26,000lb limit...
The DOT inspection sounds like it might be a problem for me since I'm in Florida, but who know's maybe they would accept a floridian DOT inspection... I would be interested to know how this all turns out.... Thanks for the reply.

grizcty

Negative,

The GVWR I listed was for a M 936.

I too am interested/scared how this will turn out.:roll:

Gotta call it quits for the night.
And get some shut eye.

BEASTMASTER

theres no way a deuce will weigh 43k lds.even two of them together. you got the wrong tag on there or it's a 5 ton.my 5 ton grossess 44 k lds and tares at 23600 lds.

800summit

What year is it? If it is over 25years you can register it as a Historic vehicle, went around with them as you did, they will try to get you to register it as commercial, hold your ground, if it is over 25 years let the line behind you grow longer and keep telling them until they look at the Alaska DMV law on Historic vehicles. After I did this and paid a one time registration fee of $10 I figured I fought the system and finally got a leg up. They will ask if it will be used as a Parade and exhibition vehicle. Tell them YES. I tell them when I go moose hunting the cars behind me are the parade, and after I shoot the moose it is the Exhibition:p

Attachments

flyusn99

800summit,
I'm at somewhat of a disadvantage since I'm in Florida and my dad (with a POA) will actually be doing the registration for me in Ketchikan. I've actually read all the Alaskan Code (section 28 I believe) on vehicel registration and technically the 10,000 max weight even applies to Historic vehicles....
The truck (still sitting in Frankfort waiting for my EUC and the hold to be lifted) is a 1971 so I could get historic plates just not sure they'll let me get by on that....
If I was back in Ketchikan I'm sure I could get by with that but I plan on driving it a fair amount down here and between the base cops and the FHP I'm not sure I'll be able to get by driving 3-4 times a week on historic plates... Still I may try to go that route....

800summit

Well Mine is registered in Soldotna, I went around and around with them then they called Anchorage, and it went through. Just dont tell them you will be using it as a daily driver. also if you get this completed and have to get insurance, tell them it is a historic vehicle. $110 a year for insurance and you can cancel it in the winter when not in use.

grizcty

Like the new picture 800 summit.
Do you have it in full size?
A person I know in gun forum.
Goes by the name bunnywabbit, and she would get a kick out of tit!

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a search on AK registration of MVs and this was the most relevant, so I thought I'd resurrect it to see how it went for flyusn99.

My situation is that I am currently living in AK and want to register my 5 ton that is physically in OH. Are there any inspections required by the state? Now that the emissions inspections aren't done (from what I understand) does the state have to see it or any proof of inspection? For the near term my 813 won't be much more than novelty until I'm stationed CONUS again, so I could register as a historic vehicle. The problems may come when I want to insure it as all the insurance companies I've looked at have serious restrictions on historic vehicles. That will be a problem for me, namely the inside or secure storage requirements.

Is it possible to register as a recreational vehicle, something like a motorhome? Weights would be comparable. After all, I can sleep in it, and I will probably put a shelter on it in the future.:D I'll pay the $$ if I absolutely have to but I think commercial reg is out because the 30,000 GVWR makes a CDL required (GVWR over 26,0001) and I don't have one. Any ideas or experiences in the matter?

Last edited:

800summit

So from What I can see it will remain in OH and not comming up here, or are you planning to bring it up. All the DMV needs to see is the Title and registration for the DMV. The Insurance company will need to see that it is registered as a Historic Vehicle for the insurance.
I never had to have any inspections.

The insurance will be for Parades and exhibitions. The DMV wil need a physical address for the MV also.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks 800, that helps. At leasts I know there probably won't be an inspection required. The 813 will actually be staying in MI for awhile (I just havent picked it up from OH and moved it to MI yet), but I want to register in AK because I'll be here for awhile longer and I figure I'll probably maintain a permanent residence here. I plan on returning when I'm done with the Army (or the Army is done with me:)). I own a home here, and I have an AK license so none of that is an issue.

Looking at registration codes more in depth it looks like there are several options for historic vehicles including "Historic Truck or Cargo Van - Normal Use". Looks like that might be the way to go. With that hopefully I'll be able to insure as a non-commercial truck.