• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alcohol Evaporator Dryer Comparison

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was not intending to purchase a cross section of all the alcohol evaporator dryers out there, but thanks to the way ebay works sometimes I did. I ended up with two versions of Bendix dryers, and one Midland. The smallest of the Bendix units is the same type that appears to have been used in one of the dryer kits for the deuce. The directions are for the larger white plastic Bendix unit. I can take a larger pic of the directions if it would be useful to post in the articles if needed as this is a bit hard to read.

I hope some of you guys with installed units can post some pics.

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
We can debate adding a high dollar modern dryer in another thread. This thread is to show the various types of evaporative dryers, and how they mount in the deuce as the military kit was designed to do. These type systems have been around for years, and apparently work just fine.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good posts Ethan and Mark. It's nice to have a visual for all of the possible dryer systems that we may encounter.

It sure is a lot more simple and inexpensive that the Haldex Pure Air Plus desiccant dryer system on my 923A2: http://shortlinks.net/rub882 Of course they went to that fancy system to protect the CTIS and ABS. It worked like a champ because I never got any water or even mist out of the tank drains. It even had an electric heating element around the blow-off valve. You do not want to be next to that thing when it blows off, trust me!! I had my ear about a foot away from it once when greasing the truck with it idling. I know, not safe, but dang it scared the stuff outa me!

My 404 Unimog had one on the right rear frame-rail behind the axle. It was a simple steel canister with a screw on lid. The lid had a spring loaded plunger so you could give it an extra shot. Those crafty Germans!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any "automatic" air dryer will benefit from an alcohol evaporator since the accumulated water would freeze if not heated (=24vdc drain).
If I only had the choice of one device, it would be the alcohol evaporator/vaporizer.
The small "Bendix" unit in Ethan's picture is shown in many TM's and is factory installed in the m656/xm757 8x8 trucks with its multiple air systems. Just requires methanol from time to time and the normal draining of the air tanks..... Do a search here for past postings, including the cranetruck installation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks