• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alcohol evaporator & grill cover?

OD_Coyote

cbvet said:
Does anyone know a source for the alcohol evaporator kits & arctic grill covers for M35s & M813s ?

Eric
CBVET
Eric - Try contacting Bernie at the following email address:
KCGonzo@aol.com

Just a couple of days ago he told me he had the evap bottles and mounting kits, but not the tubing that runs between the bottle and the compressor. I told him I was interested in one, since I am sure I can figure out the tubing gig with the help of some of the fine folks here on this site.

Merry Christmas!

Chris
OD_Coyote

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Alcohol evaporator & grill cover?

The tubing, is just copper tubing. Its either 1/8" or 3/16", without looking. The early ones used a pint mason jar. The newer ones have a plastic jar - same shape as the glass one. The plastic would probably be safer when running on gravel. A rock could kick up and break the glass. That sniffer really works. A version of it, is all I ever used on a comercial transport truck. The air line anti freeze that I get for it here (alcohol, but not the good stuff) , has a blue tint to it. If you have an air leak, the clue is the blue residue build up around the fitting.

Lee in Alaska

jwaller

RE: Re: Alcohol evaporator & grill cover?

I just installed the alky evap kit on my deuce and I have noticed a difference. I wouldnt go back. I'm now looking for another for the 5T.

OD_Coyote

Re: RE: Re: Alcohol evaporator & grill cover?

rosco said:
The tubing, is just copper tubing. Its either 1/8" or 3/16", without looking. The early ones used a pint mason jar. The newer ones have a plastic jar - same shape as the glass one. The plastic would probably be safer when running on gravel. A rock could kick up and break the glass. That sniffer really works. A version of it, is all I ever used on a comercial transport truck. The air line anti freeze that I get for it here (alcohol, but not the good stuff) , has a blue tint to it. If you have an air leak, the clue is the blue residue build up around the fitting.

Lee in Alaska
Thanks Lee!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Re: Alcohol evaporator & grill cover?

Started out with copper tubing, but have now gone to black 1/4" brake air line tubing. The copper seemed to be effected by the methanol and using the nylon type tubing reduces the stress on the fittings.
A pint is good for about 1,000 to 1,500 miles of highway driving.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dmuchow said:
excuse my ignorance, but what does the alcohol evaporator do for the deuce?
It is connected to a separate port on the air compressor, which gets alcohol vapor from the jar, which mixes with the air.
Any water in the system will mix with the alcohol and prevents ice formation (cold weather operation).

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the plastic air brake line tubing is a great product. The copper can corrode from both the inside as well as on the outside. Plus, copper tubing work hardens/fatigues and breaks. The plastic tubing seems to be inert to most chemicals found around vehicles, is not much subject to abrasion and just doesn't care about vibration, and its even good in severe cold. I plumbed the fuel system with it on a farm tractor, 20 years ago. Its great! But.... Be careful when you use heat around it!

Lee in Alaska