• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alcohol evaporator

clydizzel

What type of alcohol or fluid are you or should you put in your alcohol evaporator? Also is it hard on the seals and oting to use it? I keep reading that the alcohol will deteriorate things.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drier has a 24v heating element to take the place of alcohol. Does yours have a bottle as only the older non abs original brakes had them?

Ford Mechanic

I think your talking about the ether bottle for cold start. It's about the size of a spray can, mounted upside-down, above the drivers front tire.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My m923 also still had it. The original non abs brake trucks had it. When the trucks where changed to abs, they did away with the alcohol system since they installed a drier with a heater. Sloppy installs did not go back and remove it. There was a line going to the compressor and I think the other one to the air governor on some scrap non abs trucks I have seen. I would think you should have nothing hooked up to it.

I am not positive as I live in the sub tropics ;-) with no real "winter" experience but I thought alcohol was not compatible with drier/heater systems.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of those mounted on my M109A3 (multifuel). I never filled it with anything so I don't know how well they work. I thought about taking it off and putting it on my more driven M35A2, but I never have. I don't drive it much at all in the winter because of the salt. Only a little low range trips around the neighborhood drifting it around in the snow. So I never have experienced any icing up of my air system.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alcohol snifters work good, and they came with the Arctic Kits, that had the fuel heaters in them. That's all I have ever used. To answer the question, heavy truck shops will have stuff called "Air Line Antifreeze". Its about the same as "Heet" that is put in gas tanks (and is interchangeable with it), but it has a slight colored dye in it that will allow one to find air leaks better. Using it in conjunction with a drier defeats the purpose of the drier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks