• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ALCOHOL ?

N1265

Hi Guys,

The antifeeeze in my M880 looks prety clear, But it test to -45 deg.

I was told that the Army might have put alcohol mixed with the water in the radiator to raise the boiling point. wich would also act as an antifreeze.

Does anybody know anything about this ?

Thanks, Nick

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nick:
We have and have had a number of military trucks, including three 880's, five five tons, six deuces, one 715 and one M37. I have not seen alcohol used for over 30 years in anything we bought, including all of the army trucks. I do remember you can definitely smell the alcohol, especially when hot. It also boils off with time, and needs to be regularly renewed. If you do not smell alcohol, I would say it is not that type of antifreeze. I don't know why it is quite clear, either.

N1265

Thanks for the info..... This is my first MV and I have no clue how the military keep up on there vehicles.

I just thought that maybee they put alcohol in them to prepare for desert shield / storm..... it had a printed tag from 1992 stating that it was checked.

I also had some kind of contamination in the tranny fluid because it looked like a pinkish color. the oil also had a funny smell to it. maybe gas.

do you know anything about the funny oil or tranny fluid.

is it possisble that the fuel pump is leaking into the crank case?

thanks. Nick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks