• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alcohol

Armada

I am adding alcohol to the air system on an 800 series cummins. :beer:
The compressor is different than a multifuel engine and I want to make sure I plumb it to the right spot. (See photo with arrow). Would this be where the line from the alc. bottle will attach? Thanks

Attachments

Jones

Pretty sure that's the line into the compressor from the air cleaner. Alchohol introduced there might wash any oil from the compressor cylinder bores and rings.
As far back as the air tanks the air is still warm enough to keep any moisture from condensing out.
All the alchohol systems I've seen put in downstream from the air brake pedal or booster to keep moisture from condensing out and freezing on it's way to the air cylinders at the wheels, or into the trailer brake system. The alchohol also lowers the freezing point so that any moisture that does get through won't freeze and plug lines or air pots.
Unimogs have hydraulic brakes and their alchohol reservoir is back by the rear wheels just before the air line connects to the trailer's air brakes.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not much of it is covered in the 260-20 TM, for sure...the evaporator kit on my 8x8 has one line going to the air intake tube for the compressor and another to the governor with check valves in separate lines. Don't know if that's any help, but check other manuals and come up with a common denominator.
Happened to be looking at an M925 Cummins yesterday and noticed that the evaporator bottle bracket (bottle and tubing gone) was installed right behind the compressor.

Armada

Thanks for the info. I will keep researching. Here is a pic I found with the alcohol tied into the cummins compressor at the same plugged orifice as in my first picture, which is upstream of the compressor. The other pic is a multifuel compressor also with the alcohol at the comp. intake.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks