• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alfa Heaven question....

BigJay

Ok well, I had/have my heart set on a Deuce, but due to a LONG list of reasons I think a CUCV is a better way to go for my first MV. I won't be buying for a few months still, but I'm doing a lot of thinking and reading.

No doubt Tom's trucks look beautiful. Also it's quite clear Tom is a good businessman and a benefit to the community. My question is, as a daily driver, is it worth it to go with an Alfa Heaven unit? How durable are the paint jobs and all that jazz?

My concern is that I'll pay top dollar for a nice detailed truck, drive it for 6 months, and have a truck that is in the same boat as a cheaper ebay truck. Also regardless of how good a fella's reputation is, I'm always concerned fresh paint is covering incorrectly patched rust.

So I'd love to hear from guys who've bought trucks from Tom in the past, how did they hold up for you? Was there much maintenance issues(belts, hoses, filters, brakes) that didn't get taken care of before you bought it?

I have a '78 Suburban that has about 45k miles on it. I paid a lot for it, and within 6 months I'd replaced all the shocks, ALL of the brake system, fuel pump, several hoses, and some other small stuff. I don't mind paying $7500 for a NICE CUCV, but I don't want to have to spend much else in the first year after paying that.

-Jay

Jones

Personally, I've only had limited dealings with Tom but all have been positive. I find he's knowledgable and glad to talk and answer questions; both before and after a sale. Don't know how far away you are but if possible, pay him a visit, get to meet him and see what he currently has in the works. A partially restored/reconditioned truck will give you a pretty good idea of the time and attention to detail put into one. Watch and see what a few of us have to say on the subject of AlfaHeaven. If you haven't noticed yet, SS members aren't shy about giving credit where credit's due; or raking someone over the coals for trying to pull a fast one.

Westech

CPL
I know Tom well. He and I do deals all the time and Im at his shop once a month or so. Tom is no bull shi* guy! If he says the truck is good, its good. If he tells you it need work it needs work! his paint jobs are military type. What I mean is they do one thick coat of the 383. I have tryed two thin coats befor and that just dont last. You have to do it in one pass! I would not worry about the paint, if he repaints them its a super nice job. It looks better then a off the line millitary truck ever did. (some say a little too nice) and dont forget...... he will paint one tan too if you place a order. otherwise there all camo.

BigJay

I appreciate the responses. I'll call/e-mail Tom when it comes closer to time to buy. Having been in retail for a while when I was younger I have a rule about not talking to sales people when I have no money in my pocket. Basically I was just trying to figure out if I'm looking at Alfa Heaven or ebay type places when trying to find a truck.

-Jay

Armada

Basically I was just trying to figure out if I'm looking at Alfa Heaven or ebay type places when trying to find a truck.
Check all sources for a truck. You never know what will turn up. A number of guys here have got them on ebay and have gotten really nice trucks. If anything, it will give you an idea of condition and what they're going for when you get ready to buy one. Good luck.

lacoda56

BigJay
Just my two cents worth, but keep in mind ebay has always been "Let the buyer beware"! Tom at Alfa and other dealers like him have a word of mouth reputation to think of. They take the time to drain and replace fluids and replace any questionable parts as necessary. They can't give you a lifetime warranty, but it's without a doubt the best you're gonna get on a twenty year old vehicle.

BigJay

lacoda; That's exactly what I was thinking... I mean, if I'm gonna buy a basket case, I'll buy the cheaper basket case... But if Tom does a really thorough service on it, and puts GOOD paint on it, etc... then it's deffinitely worth the extra money.. I want to use the 1008 as a daily driver around town and whatnot, which is why I decided to go with the 1008 instead of the deuce. Can't daily drive a deuce very easily. My Suburban is a good toy, but it's got big tires and a 400ci small block so it's horrible on gas. And my F250 was bought new in december of '04 and currently has 39,000 miles on it.. so I need another vehicle to spread the miles around to. Anyway, now that you know my life's story when it comes to vehicles, yeah, I think I'm going to go with Tom.

-Jay