• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Algae crud or what. Best way to clean it up. M923a2

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my truck is running a little sluggish and has become hard to start.

i drop the fuel filter and it is very blocked with a substance that smells like wet paint and kind of has the consistency of half dried paint also. Reddish brown in color.

the filter can interior is covered with it. Very hard to remove.

the fuel tank itself also has the same smell but the fuel looks ok not brown but greenish.

i drained a little from the tank an a few big glops came out with the fuel.

I assume this is algae. The tank is almost completely full.

Whats my best course of action here? Drop the tank and clean it out or buy a bunch of filters and treat with some sort of fuel cleaner?

im not real sure how to dispose of all that diesel. Don't really want to at $4 per gallon.

ca1517

In my experience, you are dealing with the aftermath of biodiesel, or bio blend. The only way I fixed the problem was to drain the tank, and have the tank cleaned in a vat at a large radiator shop.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clint your pics look like my problem. I don't think my tank is that bad but its hard to tell. You can't remove the filler neck screen in the 900 series 5 ton. Hard to see down in there.

I think I will start with draining the tank. Now what to do with the all that diesel or what to put it in

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The neck screen is removable it unscrews just like the cap. They can be hard to get off though. I used a very large pair of channellocks and put some duct tape on the teeth so not to damage the filler neck.

MarcusOReallyus

I think I will start with draining the tank. Now what to do with the all that diesel or what to put it in

How many gallon$ are we talking about? It might be worth your time to rig up a filter apparatus. A little copper piping, an automotive filter, and an inline electric fuel pump from a discount auto store might fix you up. Strain it through cheesecloth first, to get the big stuff.

It would be a hassle, but it might be worth it.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And treat it with a bio-cide to kill off the active bacteria.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And treat it with a bio-cide to kill off the active bacteria.
Yup, do this first. Let the engine run as well, as they'll be that crud in the fuel lines and injection system. Don't want to leave anything in there for it to re-manifest again.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use LOTS of bio-cide. I mix it at twice the recommended rate, when I fuel up the M814. So far, I have stopped the little demons from coming back.

Also, a good long drive, and change filters a lot, goes a long way towards cleaning out the fuel lines.

3rdaavbn

I have to agree with the bio-side, but when mine decided to take a leak on me,(literally I dont know how the leak happened), I let all of the fuel drain into 5 gal. buckets. The first bucket had at least 2 out of 5 gallons of rusty water in it. Go figure.

3dAngus

Thank God for Multifuels. I only use my deuce twice a year, but use a mixture of gas in it to keep my diesel topped off with higher octane during the long period of inactivity.

I don't know if it really helps, but it sure makes me feel better. Where does one buy bio-cide?

61sleepercab

Friend of mine had carb with green tint in bowl , carb cleaner ect would not touch it. Mechanic said welcome to unleaded-alcohol gas blend and soaked carb parts in water and Dawn Dish soap. Green pond scum gone. May be good for small parts cleaning. Mark

Captaincarrier

There is a similar post in the General Section regarding "Red Sludge" in the fuel tanks. I am reluctant to double post, it may be worth your while to look it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks